Home  •  FAQ  •   Forums

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:08 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hi there
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:25 am 

Hi everyone!
I'm Rachael. I'm not quite sure what to put here but it looks like others are just putting some stuff about themselves so I guess I'll do that!

I just turned 16 years old and I was diagnosed with BPD a couple of months ago. So I'm really still learning about all this stuff and how to deal with it. When I was like 13 I became depressed for various reasons and developed an eating disorder. When I was 14 I went through a 3 month inpatient hospital stay where I learned a lot about myself.

I've been going to therapy since I was 14, saw a dietician for about a year and, after gaining 40 pounds and finally reaching a healthier weight, I guess my insurance saw that as a reason not to pay for my visits to my eating disorder T. I was really attached so the quick transition from my old T to new T was really rough.

Anyways I'm looking forward to joining this community and learning more about BPD as well as getting to know you guys.

Rachael :type

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:49 pm 
Senior Community Leader
Senior Community Leader

Hi Rachael, and welcome!

You've already accomplished a lot if you've made a good recovery from your eating disorder. Congratulations on that! I hope that you are able to maintain your healthy weight -- I know it can be a struggle.

Hopefully being diagnosed so young with BPD will be an advantage for you -- you haven't had years and years of dysfunction to overcome. Several of us weren't diagnosed until our 50's, by which time the dysfunction was pretty well entrenched, lol. Talk about teaching an old dog new tricks! But recovery IS possible, even for us older folks. If you really want to get over this and are willing to work hard in therapy, I have no doubt that you can get there.

Changing T's is hard, and I hope it goes well for you. But sometimes things just don't "click" between patient and T, which makes treatment so much harder. You really need to be able to trust your T to be able to work successfully with him or her. So if you have problems with this one, speak up about trying someone different.

Check out our "Tools" -- in the box on the left. They've really helped a lot of us!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:41 pm 

Thank you!

Yes I'm very glad I'm only 16 and haven't had to struggle with all this for very long. I imagine it would be hard going off to college, getting married, and having kids with all these crazy emotions and what not.

Thanks for the good advice. I'm still trying out this T but I'll follow your advice if I decide I don't feel comfortable with her.

Rachael :)