Home  •  FAQ  •   Forums

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:43 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Kind of New.
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:33 pm 

I'm Courtnie
I've know about this site for awhile and visited it a couple of times. Now I'm at a place where I actually want to change things about myself. I'm also in a place where I'm ready to change.
A little about me. I'm 27 and a divorced mother of three. I've suffered from depression since my early teens and have had been on meds off and on for several years. Now is an off time. I suspect that there are other issues including BPD. Since I was about eight I've had chemical and other addiction problems. Still trying to maintain sobriety.
Less than a year ago I moved from Indiana up to Minnesota. The cover story was to be closer to my then SO's family. If I'm really honest I was trying to run away from several horrible (albeit self created) situations.
Since then I've joined the LDS church. One of the best things I've done. Thus, causing my bad relationship to get worse and eventually I left. Now I'm homeless, with three children.
If it weren't for my ward I'd be in trouble.
So I'm here to start recovery for the things that give me the most grief in my life.

Post subject: Re: Kind of New.
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:18 am 
Senior Community Leader
Senior Community Leader

That avatar looks like the TARDIS so any fan of Doctor Who is aces in my book!

Welcome to BPDR, Courtnie. :welcome

When you say "if it weren't for my ward" I assume that relates somehow to the LDS church. From the sounds of it, you're not living on the streets with your kids so that's at least something. How is the church helping you in the short and long term?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:17 pm 

Yeah, we're big Dr. Who fans. It's one of the few things that my kids and I like to watch together. Ironically, there are many, many families in my ward that are also fans. So it's been a great way to get to know the people there.
Nope, not on the streets. The majority of my help from them is just they are a great support system. The biggest way is that many people have gone out of their way to step in and help me shield (for lack of a better word) my kids from the magnitude of the situation.
The crisis is over and I have my kids basic needs covered. I can step back and focus on other things on the priority list. One being recovery and working on what gives me the most grief day to day.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:58 am 
Senior Community Leader
Senior Community Leader

Hi Courtnie, and welcome! I'm glad you're getting some good support from your religious community -- I hope we're able to help you too as you work toward mental health and happier, healthier living.