Home  •  FAQ  •   Forums

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:21 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Denial... Anger... acceptance when rational
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 7:09 pm 

You can call me Kit. I will admit that my life has not been a fairy tale nor has it been a nightmare. I have on occasion found myself in relationships that start out perfect and slowly become eaten away with the reality that it really sucks and I have got to get out.... NOW. It is I who always leaves. And I always land on my feet in a better place than I was before and almost immediately into another relationship with the exact opposite traits that I just ran from. Two marriages failed... a wonderful child from each. Now on third marriage to a man that is not perfect has his issues but I knew what they were when I married him and we seem to work. Most of all... He is good enough to me and my kids that I dont want to run... and he is not going to abandon me.

Besides the relationships that I struggle with... no close friends... dont seem to know how to do that. I have had issues with jobs. I am proud to say I have never been fired. I always quit or resign first. I am pretty inept at seeing the writing on the wall. I have been in the recreation field; camp director or recreation therapist. I have been in the education field; Teachers Aide, High School English teacher and College textbooks sales. Most recently I was the administrative/financial half of my husbands small business (10 employees). In all cases there was a very legitimate reason that I needed to resign. Mostly medical. I suffer from migraines. I can tell when it is time to start planning an exit by the number and frequency of them. One job I was injured transferring a patient in rehab which once I recovered from that I was able to go back to school to retrain thus the teaching. Anyway... many careers in my past.

As you can see I was highly function IF I am BPD. At least until about the last three years. I had worked for my boyfriend as his office manager and slowly took over the financial side too. We were living together, the kids adored him. We had been together for three years so we got married. Then something shifted. I was not his employee. I was his partner. This was my business and he has some big dreams. I dont know about other BPDs but I dont really have dreams. I cant see past tomorrow. When the business hit a slow patch and the income was not meeting the expenses I think I tried to talk about it with my H but I was so afraid of disappointing him that when he said he had a line on this job or that job I would back off and not say okay but we cant make our payroll taxes this week. We had several bad months that I should have said something... should have done something but being who I am I buried my head and started getting migraines. Lots of them. One problem. I believed my marriage was tied to the business. My boss and husband were one and the same so how do quit your job and not quit your husband. I started doing what comes naturally to me. I hid things and diverted attentions and I lied when I had to. I gave the illusion of having it all under control. I had the H and 2 kids in the best charter school in the area, I had a career in managing a business (I took one business class in college got a D... bored me to tears so I never went)

Last year around Christmas the stress of not having paid nine months of payroll taxes was eating me alive. I started having more than just migraines. I began having horrible cramps that put me in the hospital for a hysterectomy. I wanted to die on the table because if I did not then my husband was goign to find out how bad I had screwed up his dream business and leave me. I remember not wanting to wake up. Trying to will myself dead during that semi consciousness. When I finally fest up to how screwed up our finances were he was mad but his response was that I screwed it up so I had to fix it. So last year I spent the year trying to get penalty abatement based on my health issues which at the time we attributed all the migraines to the hysterectomy and assumed I was all better. and I was... for about 3 months then it was a slow spiral down hill from there.

In Feb I was trying to figure out how to commit suicide so that the insurance would pay off. The obvious was a car accident with a semi. But I knew that my kids would not be okay without me. They would be sent to their fathers in different states. They would lose me and each other. So I kept thinking how could make it okay if I were gone. It was late one of the many sleepless nights when it hit me. "I knew why mothers killed their children first". It was with that thought that I began to make another plan. Admission into a hospital because everyday I drive my kids and I did not trust myself.

While in the hospital, my husband went through my entire office. He found stacks of unopened mail. I had a fear of opening mail. I would rather not know. Stick my head in the sand was my method. My office was a mess. I am a stacker...not a filer. I have no organization other than a visual memory of where I saw something last. I remember when my husband came to visit and how mad he was I was sure he was going to leave me. But he did not. He took over my job and his. He dug in and figured out where everything stood. He was mad but he knew I was depressed and had anxiety issues too. He was glad that I was getting help. He was tired of my crying all the time. Walking on eggshells.

Now it is June... and after a loud, panic attack filled therapy session with my husband present. My T started talking to me about BPD. Which despite the number of symptoms I have just did not make sense. I am 43 and high functioning and intelligent (at least before the depression and all the meds). I had the longest weekend of my life reading about BPD. It is not all good. It is not all bad. It is all over the board depending on where you read. How could I have BPD and not know it. I dont go into rages. I dont cut myself (though there were several years I let stranger tie me up and flog me... but that is not self abuse) I was mad at the prospect. I knew what to do for my depression. I had a regimen and as long as I stuck to it I was going to be fine. But BPD... What was I to do with that?

It has been a few weeks now and I have noticed something. If I look at the choices that I have made in my life through the lens of BPD... it makes sense. If I look at my father dying when I was five... my trying to be anyone but the girl with the dead dad. The sexual abuse. The sexual deviance. The becoming whoever I needed to be to be loved. the husbands, the jobs, the moves from states. Even this marriage now. it makes sense. Right now... I am rational. Right now I see it as plain as day. I see my behavior today that are self harming. I think of death daily. everything I do is based on fear of abandonment or of disappointing someone. The overly emotional reactions to the tiniest things. the black and white thinking that I will deny and argue are all colors of the rainbow.

Today... I know I am BPD. What I don't know is what to do now?

Post subject: Re: Denial... Anger... acceptance when rational
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 9:11 pm 

Hello Kit! I am new at this board, too. Your story has so many similarities to mine, it isn't funny. My reason for not sticking with men who cared for me was that I only loved the challenge, going for the kill but not for the bait. I was proud to call myself a hunter and gatherer. When I had what I wanted, I got bored. I also have a profound death wish, not waking up anymore, just not having to face another day. I understand also why you did what you did. For years I did not want to open the mail for fear what I would find. Even today, my heart is beating fast when I open the cell phone bill, never bad surprises but just the same. I think you have severe anxiety, been there and am still stuck! I think that you have taken the first step which is to take a look at yourself and search for answers why things are what they are. And I am so happy that you checked yourself into a hospital instead of deciding to "save" your kids from a life without you. I know what you are taling about though. I always thought I have to make it at least until my daughter is old enough to be on her own. So my life is still not a joy but rather a task I have to complete because I am a responsible person, right? I cannot give up. would be failure of some kind and I do not give up or fail, no way. I also stack papers instead of filing them ,can never find anything and know only which pile to search for a certain item. So I hear you loud and clear. I have changed jobes often since I came to this country, always know that I don't quite fit in, that I am different. My boss/friend says that I have to grow on people, whatever that means. And I also have very few close friends, no real relationship with my family either. Maybe you are as afraid of closeness as I am? I do not like it when people care for me since it is a strange feeling because first of all, nobody ever showed love or whatever when I grew up and other kids did not accept, I was the odd one out. How was it for you? Do you love your husband? Do you want to stay with him because you care for him or just for practical reasons?
Here are some things that are easing my pain and take the pressure off when it is REALLY bad.
I write a diary, which of course my husband read, but who cares? There is no rhyme or reason to what I write or how, it is just an outlet for intense feelings.
I write letters to all the people who I don't like, who hurt me, who cause stress for me, who left me. I never send them but they are downright nasty and I love writing them!
I go where nobody can hear me and scream as loud as I can.
I listen to my favorite music, the one where you get soooo sad and I cry and cry until my whole head hurts.
When we still had a mason stove, I chopped wood and imagined it was people.
Do you have a therapist that has experience with BPD and/or are you on any meds to take the tip of your pressure cooker for the moment?
As you see, you are not alone!!!!! I hear every word you wrote and I can feel your pain even though I have never seen you or talked to you. This was the greatest relief for me when I found out that my weirdness, my outsider existence, my suffering, my self-punishment actually had a name and that there are others out there!!!! Many of us are highly functional and masters in hiding our inner chaos. This is not a flaw, it is something that happened to us at sometime in our lives and we did nothing wrong. I like the explanation that BPDs are people who are overly sensitive in certain areas just because our central nervous system is different.
Well, I hope I made a little sense and always remember that the first cut is the deepest ( I do not mean this literary!) and that the recognition of the issue is the first step to making changes!!!!!
Hang in there, you have so much to keep you going and you sound like you have a lot to look forward to. I know the latter is problematic, we never do since we have catastrophic expectations, but sometimes something good is in the making. (I am still searching for mine)
Dramaqueen :welcome

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:38 am 

Thanks Dramaqueen,

I think I love my husband. I say think because I question if I would know love if I felt it for anyone other than my kids. I know I love my kids and they love me because it has been proven time and time again with unconditional forgiveness and acceptance and that no matter what we got each other that has gotten through so much together. I have no fear of abandonment with my kids (16 D and 13 S) With my fear of abandonment, trust is my biggest obstacle. But I think I love him because when my head was screaming "I cant do this anymore" for the first time I did not run away. I do not want to run away. When I went to the hospital, I took a what the hell kind of attitude and and admitted everything I had be through even my older brothers sexual abuse that went on for years. So when my husband visited (every single visiting hour-even though it was an hour drive and twice on Sunday) I was as honest as I could be then too. I figured if he was going to leave I would rather be in the care of professionals when it happened. But he did not leave. Continually repeats is not going to leave and I know he has to love me to still be here. So the trust in him is growing and that feeling that no matter what is growing. So yeah... I do love my husband. And since I tend to take on the values of those I am with... he has very good values, high integrity, and believes that anything is possible. He is studying up on BPD and actually helping me understand.

As to meds... I am on Cymbalta, klonopin, and now starting lamectal (sp). I also have adivan for severe anxiety attacks. I am still depressed as my biggest hurtle. That fatigue that settles in the bones is always there. That BPD part of me pushes through it every morning to get a work out in. I am now addicted to exercise. There are so few things I am in control of but I can control my body. I have always been an athlete so my body has stepped up to the challenge and can push through the bone aching fatigue to get the endorphines pumping... but of course then I crash. The other issue is that I have no hunger sensations... not that I dont have an appetite... I just dont feel hungry from the meds and often forget to eat or the labor involved in eating is too much so I dont eat some days.

We live very close to a lake that has a small yacht club. For years I have loved going there but have very few close friends. I know a lot of people. Loved the parties because I could float from one conversation to the next without ever having to get into a deep conversation. Because of the kids, I was around there a lot and helped with the sailing program. My husband rarely went to these things. He is known around the club as Kit's husband. It is kind of the running joke. I always left the office early enough to get kids from school or sailing so I had time to be there. He always worked late if we were at the club. He would rather go to dinner with one or two couples and really get to know people. That terrifies me. Still does. This year with all the meds... I am having a terrible time with recalling names. Actually with memory in general. it is frustrating not being able to find my words or a name or see someone I know but cannot place them. I am starting to avoid the club myself this year.

Thanks for responding. Feeling not quite so alone in all this.

Kit

“The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.” ~Carlos Castaneda

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:55 am 
Community Member
Community Member

a few coping things....

i have no mind left..lol..memory. i usually laugh it off as that..i have no mind. most will laugh with ya and know the feeling quite well. stress does this to us,. we dont lay down short term memory.

the idea of cant fathom tomorrow is very familiar! i try to live today..in the now. make it the best i can. you are just beginning this wonderful healing journey. it can be painful but also filled with excitement and happiness. just to have answers!

your not alone, for sure. welcome. its a daily, minutely (is that a word?) sometimes, journey. you will learn a lot here. like how to get past it when we screw up. how to control how we behave and choices we can make. how to love yourself and like yourself! how to keep feelings from controlling our lives. only you can do this...and yes, you can!

yes, letting someone flog you is self abuse. i bet most of this is from your history of sex abuse..how well do i know that.

if you have a good T, and work at it, it can be turned around. you sound like you have a great SO. how cool is that?!

best, best to you. and welcome! jody

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 7:55 pm 

Hey Kit,
you got a great thing going for you, you love your H and he is not giving up on you. The worst fear is the one of abandonment. ppPeople tell us that we drive them crazy and trow the towel and then we are reaffirmed that we are worthless. Mine uses the BPD as a weapon, throws it randomly in my face and tells me that I need help while he proceeds to use his BP as a gift from god to explain all the pain he has inflicted upon others over an over again. I hear good things about DBT, maybe you can find a skilled T? It sounds to me like you are a bit overmedicated and someone should look up side effects and interactions of the meds you are taking. Maybe less is more? Don't know but do not really trust the experts when it comes to the chemical toys they give out.
Hang in there, it will get better!!!!!!! :disco

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:38 pm 
Community Member
Community Member

drama, remember his views and behaviors are his choice. i dont care what you do, his behaviors are his choice only. and if one works, and you respond, he will do it again and again.

same as his words cant cause you to do anything, either. it takes 2 to argue. and they love it, and we dont have to join the game. its actually quit fun to do....to see the look on their faces.

this stuff takes time and work to change ourselves. meds are great, but it also takes plain work on us and daily using those skills.

hang in there, kit. you can do it!