Home  •  FAQ  •   Forums

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:14 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: to be or not to be
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:17 am 

my partner has been seeing the same T for the past 10 years. no-one really knows exactly why, and it was never really an issue. after a lot of heart-ache, turmoil and confusion in our own relationship ( as you all know being involved with a BP) I have taken time-out. Only now, almost 2 weeks later, have I connected the dots and realised that all the BPD traits fit my partner as a glove. It's like I've seen the light.

I am going to see a T myself, in order to get the tools to deal with this. The question: is it advisable to contact my partners therapist in order to get sound advice as yo how to support my partner and handle the situation better? also to let the T know that I know, since no-one else in my partner's life (family & close friends) knows about this.
what do you think?

Post subject: Re: to be or not to be
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:07 am 

Hi, colleen ~
colleen wrote:
I am going to see a T myself, in order to get the tools to deal with this.
I think this is good.

Quote:
The question: is it advisable to contact my partners therapist in order to get sound advice as yo how to support my partner and handle the situation better? also to let the T know that I know, since no-one else in my partner's life (family & close friends) knows about this.
what do you think?
Hmmm. How do you think your partner would react to your contacting his therapist? (How would you react?)

Colleen, I think I see that familiar 'lightbulb' popping up over your head... that 'ahaa-a-a' when someone finds what they think is an answer to a riddle or shared name for a problem. It can be validating and relieving and... lots of times, helpful. The immediate impulse is to share what one 'knows'. (Try watching Jeopardy with my mom!)

Acting on partial information can also be damaging. I suggest you not jolt in any direction... not until you've learned more about this lightbulb, including its various combinations of symptoms, and potential look-alikes.

:2cents
~ jr

Also, it occurs to me that you may find a site/message board geared for folks who care about someone with apparent symptoms of BPD helpful. Try Out of the FOG if this is so...