Home  •  FAQ  •   Forums

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:55 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: How long does it take to recover from BPD?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:52 am 

One of the most helpful things that other people did for me was to carry the hope for me. At times I was so far down, I couldnt believe that recovery was possible. They were people who were afraid to give me a good kick up the backside when I needed it, but somehow i always knew that they were only acting out of a place of deepest concern for me

I've just had a whole bunch of my psych notes returned to me, and looking back now, the time when things started changing for the better was when a clinical pysch started putting more responsbility back onto me, and started laying down boundaries

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:02 pm 
Senior Community Leader
Senior Community Leader

wizeone wrote:
I've just had a whole bunch of my psych notes returned to me, and looking back now, the time when things started changing for the better was when a clinical pysch started putting more responsbility back onto me, and started laying down boundaries

Could. Not. Have. Said. It. Better. Myself.

BRAVO! :clap

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:57 pm 

I know when things were really bad, I used to wish people had a magic wand or a pill that would just make all my problems better. Professionals who used to tell me that I had to take responsibility for my own actions used to just really hack me off. Looking back now I think the reason why it used to hack me off was because of there was never any rational given with the "take responsbility for your own actions"

I've come to realise that owning my actions, allowed me to take charge of my life, and the reality was that people could give me all the suggestions in the world, but until I made the decision to change then nothing was going to happen. I think a lot of the time, especially with BPD and other personality disorders there is a tendency by health professionals to stick them in the two hard basket and give up on them.

Being able to have hope for your friend/colleage/loved ones is important, because too often for them to know that someone else believes they can do it, encourages them to try and have some hope for themselves

hope that makes sense

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:30 pm 

Hi, my first post here (well sorta, I used to post a long time ago).

I want to say that being concerned about how long it's going to take to recover may not be helpful. I was diagnosed with bpd traits some four or five years ago (at 36 ish) and have gradually moved to a healthier way of being. I've been in therapy for over four years and that has really helped me gain a new perspective on my past, an understanding of the abuse that happened etc. Realising that what happened wasn't 'normal' even though because I lived it I experienced it as so, and coming to an understanding that it was far from normal has been a revelation. Anyone would find it difficult to cope with life with BPD as it's a normal response to an abnormal situation as I'm sure you are aware.

I went back to education three and a half years ago and it's been a major turning point. I've since got a diploma in visual arts and am over half way through a four year bachelor of design (I'm in the third year). I also have social anxiety disorder so being brave and doing these things has really helped me move on.

It's built my confidence (I honestly never thought I could get this far) so really what I'm saying is that it's a step by step thing. Don't stress about how long it's taking, just appreciate the progress as you make it. Making goals is healthy, trust in yourself and your health care workers. It does get a lot better as time goes on and as time goes on you'll feel better.

Good luck (or good travels as it were!)

:0)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:19 pm 

skip..thanks.