Home  •  FAQ  •   Forums

It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 9:38 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Beeing a Good Patient
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:17 am 

I had a really bad weekend. Really bad. I haven't felt like this for a long time, and it scares me. The problem is, I don't want to tell my counsellor at the hospital (I don't have a therapist yet). I try and try, but I'm not getting better, and I'm afraid of not beeing the good girl. I know she and my doctor is there to help, and that makes me want to give them something back (i.e. good results). This happens everytime I get closer to my doctors, counsellors, nurses etc.

Does anyone here experience the same thing? I would love some advice and support. I know that I should tell my counsellor exactly how bad things really are, but I don't want her to worry or feel she's doing a bad job - weird, isn't it?

Post subject: Re: Beeing a Good Patient
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:42 am 
Senior Community Leader
Senior Community Leader

Being a good patient, in my opinion, doesn't mean giving the doctors "good results." I think they rather appreciate it when you're honest about the trouble you're having. They can't help if they don't know you need it. Being a "good patient" can be about learning more about yourself and how to handle the bad times. Maybe learning to accept that you can't be perfect for anyone. That's been a tough one for me. So, no, it's not weird.

Post subject: Re: Beeing a Good Patient
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:43 am 
Community Member
Community Member

Your doctors are there to help you. They are not going to judge you. You need to be open with them, or else they will not be able to help you. I know it's hard to admit our setbacks to them, but that's what they're there for. Thinking about it can make it seem harder, but I think once you jump in and talk to them, it will be easier for you and you will feel a great sense of release. Therapists know that patients have setbacks. I don't think your therapist will think she's doing a bad job - rather, she will help you get back on track. They know how difficult the path to reovery is. They are trained to know that we take a few steps forward, then a few steps backwards, and then forward again. You need to have faith in her that she is doing her job and helping you during these difficult times. Good luck!!!!

......I'm gonna look at you till my eyes go blind..... (Bob Dylan)