Home  •  FAQ  •   Forums

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:33 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Biofeedback Recordings
PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 12:51 am 

Was thinking along the lines of grounding activities (could certainly use some myself right now) & recalled this website has been finished, I was the guinea pig for many of the recordings & must say I think they turned out well. They are free for personal use, but copyrighted & can not be recorded or distributed without permission.

http://ccc.byu.edu/counseling/skills.php

Post subject: Re: Biofeedback Recordings
PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 10:49 pm 

God I love BYU. Totally gong to get my PhD from there. :)~

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:30 pm 

Queenofthefairies wrote:
God I love BYU. Totally gong to get my PhD from there. :)~

Briefly considered an upper level course of study there but it's highly unlikely I could survive academically, and even more unlikely I could live through two more years of the "BYU" scene. Not a big fan of the "happy valley" culture in general (though I grew in the middle of it), condensing "happy valley" into a college campus can lead to some interesting dynamics. Let's just say if it wasn't for client confidentiality and some extremely stubborn individuals willing to stand up against idiotic regulations I would have dropped out my second semester. There are open minded individuals at BYU, but you have to know where to find them.

On the bright side, the last I read the statistics on college counseling services they have the largest counseling center in the US, and are one of only a handful that don't charge for any of their services, nor do they have any limits on the number of sessions (I like to claim some responsibility there, I'm the "success story" that's used every time they start talking about limiting sessions--if they'd kicked me out after 40 sessions I am quite certain I wouldn't be here today). They also have one of the only (if not the only) full service biofeedback labs on a university campus, not to mention meditation classes that are now open to the public, and just about every type of therapy group in history (from general processing to DBT). Now that I look back I'm glad I got in (only applied because of pressure from family) for those reasons, I figure I received well over $20,000 in services free, but I could pass on everything else.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:23 am 

BYU is wonderful for somethings but not exactly a progressive thinking Mecca. I didn't know that they even did stuff for biofeedback there. So thanks so much for passing it along. Looking over the link you posted it just looks awesome.

BTW, are you a member?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:08 pm 

Queenofthefairies wrote:
BYU is wonderful for somethings but not exactly a progressive thinking Mecca. I didn't know that they even did stuff for biofeedback there. So thanks so much for passing it along. Looking over the link you posted it just looks awesome.

BTW, are you a member?

Of course, on the presumption that you are asking if I am a member of the predominant religion at BYU, I am. ;-) As with BYU, there are also forward-thinking individuals within the LDS church, if you know where to look. What are you planning to do your PhD in? When do you start? Check out the counseling center & watch out, or I may have to drag you into the local NAMI chapter as well. We always need more members who are actively working on overcoming personality based disorders.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:23 am 

Groovy! Another member! :woohoo
I won't be starting my graduate work for quite awhile. I was going for clinical psychology (I wanted to do research) but a bad experience with work is making me think of other options. Though I've been told that my major doesn't matter, it just shows future employers I can complete something and that a PhD will give me a lot of freedom. It may just be in English though I may end up like one of my English Professors jokes...
"I have a masters in English and a PhD in Literature and I currently work as a Temp."
For the most part I've heard wonderful things about how BYU treats their graduate students and that Provo is a bubble. So when the time comes BYU is my first choice for grad school.

So what do you study at the U? Do you find the Church supportive in your recovery?