Home  •  FAQ  •   Forums

It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:50 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Changing plans...
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:55 am 

Since last January I have been running my own preschool program, at the beginning of this school year I added a second class. While I was never full & wasn't pulling a profit, I was making ends meet. In the last three months I have lost six children, mostly due to the economic situation. I am now loosing money, which obviously I can't afford to do! After considering my options, I have decided to cut my afternoon class. That class has been physically & emotionally draining anyway, and my therapist & psychiatrist have indicated they feel I am working too much for the last several months, but I still am upset about the choice. It will mean I loose some of the kids I care about since they probably won't transfer to the morning class, it also means "letting down" parents (at least in my eyes) who were planning on school continuing until May. I'm also doubting myself now, wondering if I really can run my own business, or even work more than part time, and if I will ever be financially stable.

How have others dealt with an unexpected change in plans? How did you respond if your decision to change your plans effected others?

Post subject: Re: Changing plans...
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:26 am 

Survival is key. I've had lots of things changed for me and I've made changes myself. Each way is a jump into a pool.

However, it is my experience that the fear of change is greater than the effect of change. It was always a boogeyman until I did it, then life was much better.

Fear of change is hard. For me, I don't make positive changes until the roof falls in around my head.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:56 pm 

Turns out I was worrying about nothing. My afternoon parents like things the way that they are, and are willing to pay extra to keep the program open. I figure if they're willing to pay even more for a program that is already high-end price wise I must be worth it! A bit of a self esteem boost there. Who cares if I'm making a profit? That's why I have the SSI to fall back on, I have time to figure out what's going to work.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:56 am 

harindy, good to hear things worked out so well for you in the end.

I hope you don't mind me making kinda a nosy suggestion (tell me to butt out if you want - I won't be offended!), but I've found it helpful for me after being in an emotionally difficult situation that turns out totally different than I had expected, to then go back over my initial thoughts and see where I may have done some twisting.

For example, my old therapist (lol, he's not old, I just don't go to therapy anymore) helped me see how I "catastrophize", which I thought was just a silly word he made up. But he was right, of course, and I came to see how I'd take one event and then blow it up waaaaay outta proportion. Not saying that's what you did in this situation, though some of your thoughts are familiar patterns I've had. I would cause myself no end to worry because I would not only stress about the initial event - which of course IS stressful, no doubt (economic worries, oh yeah!) - but I would also start piling on other stresses that weren't necessarily true: like someone thinking bad of me for my decision, or the event meaning something about me was "bad". See where I'm going with this? It's helpful to see when I internalize a negative situation and to work at not blaming myself for more than my fair share. That approach has brought me a lot of peace.

Anyway, it is good to hear the situation resolved itself in a positive way and I wish for you continued success.