Home  •  FAQ  •   Forums

It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:04 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Time magazine article on BPD
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:34 am 
Senior Community Leader
Senior Community Leader

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/artic ... 91,00.html

I hadn't realized the estimate had increased from 2% to 5.9% in the last eight years.

Post subject: Re: Time magazine article on BPD
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:12 am 
Community Member
Community Member

Thanks for the link.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:08 pm 
Senior Community Leader
Senior Community Leader

I love this bit:

Marsha Linehan wrote:
"Zen philosophy meets tough love,"

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:09 pm 

Wow interesting stuff.

Quote:
BPD has long been regarded as an illness disproportionately affecting women, but the latest research shows no difference in prevalence rates for men and women.

That is interesting indeed. Although, I think somewhat since the prisons at least here started to look into treating people using psychiatric diagnosis that might match what this is saying somewhat. They have started here to offer therapy in hospital to look at treating behaviour rather than just punishing it.

I used to hide my BPD dx. Since I stopped doing so and am able to finally talk about places I have been mentally. I find more and more people will look at the dx criteria for themselves and say .... hey I could say that about me. Some people that thought hey I am depressed have gone off to doctors etc... and sought help themselves often ending up with BPD as a dx.

So I wonder if it is more about people being open to seeking help or indeed things have gotten worse in the last ten years and there are a new number of adults that have grown up disordered?

Tracy formerly known as bogit

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:34 pm 
Community Member
Community Member

I liked that "no emotional skin" description.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:03 pm 

EllenKMR wrote:
I liked that "no emotional skin" description.

Me too. I think it's a very good metaphor for how I handle 'emotional' situations.

This bit is worrying:
TIME wrote:
Many therapists have no clue how to treat borderlines. And yet diagnosis of the condition appears to be on the rise.

I think this is unnecessary, and is below the standard I'd expect from TIME:
TIME wrote:
The methods of self-harm that borderlines choose can be gruesomely creative. One psychologist told me of a woman who used fingernail clippers to pull off slivers of her skin.

The article mentions a book called Treatment of Borderline Personality Disorder by Dr Joel Paris. I've never heard of it before. Has anybody read it? Is it good?

TIME wrote:
88% of those who received a diagnosis of BPD no longer meet the criteria for the disorder a decade after starting treatment.

I've heard this before. I think it's very encouraging. I'm 20 now, so there's a very high chance I'll no longer meet the diagnostic criteria by the time I'm 30.

In all I think it was a good article. It was balanced and informative, and tried to dispel some myths about BPD. I like how it emphasised how little DBTherapists there are out there. Maybe through this publicity, more hospitals will train people in DBT.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:10 pm 
Community Member
Community Member

Grrr... got an error where I didn't post.

I found the comment that BPD patients are often overmedicated interested. I do think that psychiatric meds are overused. (I don't, though, make judgements about individuals.)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:11 pm 
Community Member
Community Member

where it didn't post, that should be. ("it" being what I tried to post)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:49 pm 
Community Leader
Community Leader

borderlineguy wrote:
The article mentions a book called Treatment of Borderline Personality Disorder by Dr Joel Paris. I've never heard of it before. Has anybody read it? Is it good?.

I think it's a book written for clinicians treating people with BPD (Like Linehan's stuff).

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:34 am 

Sarah wrote:
I think it's a book written for clinicians treating people with BPD (Like Linehan's stuff).

Oh. Well in that case, I hope it has been written as a result of increased demand from clinicians wanting to learn DBT and the like.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:07 am 

I did read Dr. Paris' book, later on in my recovery when I had less of an emotional investment in BPD. It's been about a year or so and I threw away all my self-help books as a symbolic gesture once I'd gotten to a satisfactory level of growth, but I remember it being very helpful looking at BPD in a clinical, rational, professional, and logical way. It also helped me plan strategies for dealing with certain behaviors, because I understood more deeply the mechanisms behind them.

Didn't much like the Time article. It seemed somewhat sensationalistic; I would have preferred something a little less lyrical and subjective.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:09 am 
Community Member
Community Member

Sarah wrote:
borderlineguy wrote:
The article mentions a book called Treatment of Borderline Personality Disorder by Dr Joel Paris. I've never heard of it before. Has anybody read it? Is it good?.

I looked it up on Amazon.com. The full title is: Treatment of Borderline Personality Disorder: A Guide to Evidence-Based Practice.

From reading the reviews, and from what I read in it via Amazon.com, it looks like it's readable by anyone who's interested in the treatment of BPD, but it's definitely a book about professional treatment of BPD, rather than a general book on BPD.

(I see Oceanheart posted while I was writing that. :))

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:10 am 
Senior Community Leader
Senior Community Leader

Given that the magazine was Time, not Psychology Today or the AMA, I would expect some basic level of sensationalism. They're in the business to sell magazines and to do that, they need to pull people in. What better way to do that than to make things sound interesting and/or fascinating?

I may have to check out Paris' book ...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:33 pm 
Community Leader
Community Leader

Interesting - a relief to see that Time is helping to destigmatise the disorder.

Quote:
"Generally," she writes, "I have patients follow their breath ... and try to let their focus settle into their physical center, at the bottom of their inhalation. That very centered point is wise mind." Lily remembers this sensation clearly; she came to feel that her dark moods had a physical location in her body - her solar plexus - and when she focused on it, she could deactivate a destructive emotion.

Very succinct description of DBT and the "Wise Mind" concept - really quite brilliant. I've read so many descriptions here but that only took 3 sentences.

Criticism: the comment that TV has depicted Borderlines as criminal wasn't actually claimed to be incorrect. As far as I know the kind of criminal the eye gouging husband described is very uncommon in people with BPD. Self harm (obviously) is more likely.

You know, I tried to get DBT and CBT here in Sydney years ago and just couldn't find it. I found a DBT group but the woman running it told me I sounded too "well" and that the group would probably not be helpful for me. The one CBT therapist I sourced only treated people with chronic pain, which ironically didn't include people with BPD. Although the CBT available here on BPDR has been extremely helpful, as well as the 14 or so years of psychotherapy I've had and still have, I notice how MUCH I've improved in the last year. I can't help but wonder if what the article says about borderline occurring in people in their 20s is prong 3 to my recovery - I've just grown out of it. But inevitably the support I've sought through therapy and through BPDR has helped to get me through my 20s and early 30s alive, to make it to this day, where I think I certainly no longer fit the DX criteria for BPD. I'ma lso a hellava lot wiser for all this treatment.

These articles always make me reflect on my own experience with recovery.

One other thing, the article talks about mental illnesses of the ages - depression, psychosis etc as reflecting the era, in that the era produces that kind of disorder. I disagree - I just think that you can't DX someone with something you don't know exists. You won't convince me that those who fought in wars thousands of years ago didn't suffer from PTSD just bc no-one new it existed, otherwise cigarettes have only been carcinogenic for the last 50 years. BPD too I think is new only in it's diagnosis, not in it's occurrence in the population. If the article is correct in what it says causes BPD, then those causes have existed from the beginning of man, which tells me that so has BPD. That was a poor understanding on the part of the writer IMO - but as Ash wrote, probably just sensationalised, Time Magazine journalism.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:58 pm 

Quote:
One other thing, the article talks about mental illnesses of the ages - depression, psychosis etc as reflecting the era, in that the era produces that kind of disorder. I disagree - I just think that you can't DX someone with something you don't know exists. You won't convince me that those who fought in wars thousands of years ago didn't suffer from PTSD just bc no-one new it existed, otherwise cigarettes have only been carcinogenic for the last 50 years. BPD too I think is new only in it's diagnosis, not in it's occurrence in the population. If the article is correct in what it says causes BPD, then those causes have existed from the beginning of man, which tells me that so has BPD.

I agree with this Sarah. Because a dx is "new" or imperfect in description does not mean it is socially constructed. Likely mental health issues of all kinds (PTSD, Bipolar, Schizophrenia, Autism, Depression, BPD, etc.) have existed well before us, and will well after us. They just are.

M.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:45 am 
Senior Community Leader
Senior Community Leader

Diagnoses are half-voodoo anyways.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:34 pm 

Minx wrote:
Diagnoses are half-voodoo anyways.

That explains why my doctor had me dance nekkid in front of a fire while holding a chicken.

Seriously, Time Magazine is in the business of selling magazines. However, that being said, it is nice that BPD is getting some attention. But the sick side of me wants it to go back to the cave.

I did a video a while back on BPD and alcoholism recovery. There are people looking at this and working on figuring out a solid method of treatment, which is a good sign.