Home  •  FAQ  •   Forums

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:15 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: wanna help with therapy homework?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:42 pm 

So my t has assigned me some therapy homework. The task is to make a list of high intensity distractions I can use when I become overly emotional. So far, I have:
1. buy a light for my mountain bike and take a superhard bike ride since I tend to freak out late at night.
2. Name things i.e. authors: Lindsey, Johanna; Quick, Amanda, etc. so I try to switch to my left brain.

Any other thoughts?

The other task is to come up with a list of external and internal "yellow flags" or warning signs which indicate I will be freaking out soon
1. internal - feeling like a ping pong ball, feeling super anxious
2. showing up late for work.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks for your input!!

smiles,

Post subject: Re: wanna help with therapy homework?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:03 pm 

Well....some ideas come to mind.....but they would be strategies for me.....so they probably wouldn't work so well for you...... I think that's probably why your T gave you that assignment....so that you'd think about what works for YOU!!!! YOU are the most important person YOU have to take care of .....right?

So, I think on this forum I could help you only by responding to YOUR ideas.....for example....you said
BPDpip5 wrote:
when I become overly emotional. So far, I have:
1. buy a light for my mountain bike and take a superhard bike ride since I tend to freak out late at night.
2. Name things i.e. authors: Lindsey, Johanna; Quick, Amanda, etc. so I try to switch to my left brain.

and my thoughts on those are:
1. you could do that but still riding a bike at night when you are in an emotional state can be very dangerous. Why not use an indoor bike? You can even get a mount for your bike so that you can "bike" inside when the outside is not safe. You could buy a fan so that the "wind" goes over you and put a picture that you like in front of the bike....to take your mind on a happy "trip".

2. If naming things works for you....great. For me, I need to do something more physical so I do Sudoku or Math problems and it gets my mind re-focused. If you're a word person you can do the online word games....there are a bunch.....I do one on Facebook and it is really captivating....I always want to improve my score so I get caught up in the challenge and forget my "worries".

That's my.....
:2cents

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:52 am 
Community Member
Community Member

I agree with skiotter that it might be dangerous to ride your bike late at night when you are overly emotional. What about regular exercise, either at home or at a workout club like Curves?

That's interesting about the list of names because it's using your left brain. I never heard of that. Can you explain more about it?

I also have a problem with getting anxious and overly emotional. I go online to these kinds of forums but I'm not sure that always helps. For me, it's writing about my problems and connecting with others that calms me down. But I also need distractions. I read, so if it's fiction, that is a great distraction. I also like word games and puzzles, but that can get too addictive and defeats the purpose. What about doing something physical like wash the floors, clean the bathroom, etc.?

I don't think anyone else can tell you what YOUR warning signs are since you know yourself best! But, please continue to post what you decide. I'm sure your T will also help you.

Good luck!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:13 am 

wondering....

they say the left brain is associated with more logical/linear thinking so therefore less emotional. doing things like writing a list, organizing, solving puzzles, etc.....are more likely to activate the left brain.....and so maybe help a person be less emotional at that moment.....

that's my non-researched.......teacher education.....interpretation for you!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:48 am 

thanks for the input guys. And yes, the "naming things" is a dbt skill and the whole point is that when you are overly emotional you are in your right brain so by naming things or doing math problems, etc. it makes you switch to the left side of your brain, which in essence gives your right brain some time to calm down and hence the lower intensity of emotions. It is a skill that definitely helps me.

So, here's my official list I gave to my t last night. Of course, this week's homework is to come up with solutions to the issues but I think I'm going to give myself a few days before I tackle that one. LOL.

Therapy homework for 6/16/09

Tasks:
Task 1. --Make a list of high and low intensity distractions for when I’m overly emotional
-- Ask my Bulletin Board
Task 2 Make a list of external and internal warning signs to warn myself before I go nutty
(grouping lower intensity distractions with awareness of warning signs)

Task 1:
1. Buy a light for my bike and bike ride like mad (high distraction)
2. Use the left brain by naming everything around me (maybe high distraction)
3. Use the left brain by doing math problems or listing ex. Writers Lindsey, Johanna, etc.
4. Watch happy movies, smelly candles, smelly lotion (low distraction)
5. Tennis – BEAT THE HELL OUT OF THE TENNIS BALL (high distraction)

Task 2:
Internal warning signs:
1. Three-tier level of suicidal ideation.
2. when I feel like a ping-pong ball - feeling like I’m not in control, feeling lost, overwhelmed
3. super anxious, worrying about everything
4. crying several times a day,
5. Feeling like I just don’t care about anything although I realize I’ll probably care tomorrow
6. Feeling like I want to hit things and/or cut
7. When I can’t seem to make sense out of anything
8. When the two sides in my mind are screaming (need high distraction)
9. Doing too much (whether it’s working, hanging out with people, etc.) and not taking enough time for myself.

External warning signs:
1. A (what feels like to me) sudden increase in the amount of chaos that is around me
2. Being late for work or missing too many days at work
3. Not wanting to check my bank account or open my mail (is this external or internal?)
4. Drinking for the wrong reasons, i.e. because I don’t want to handle life for a little while (self- destructive coping mechanism vs. drinking just to have fun and emotionally I’m okay.)
5. Forgetting to eat a lot.

smiles,

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:40 pm 

thanks BPDpip5 for sharing all of this with us. It is very interesting for me because I've never been through a DBT program. I'm not sure it would work for me......but still it is helpful to read about your external warning signs and the internal and how you deal with both by using the high intensity and/or low intensity activities.

I notice that I have really intense dreams when I am stressed. I've been really stressed this week.

Hope tonight goes well.

skiotter

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:39 pm 
Community Leader
Community Leader

I really like your list, Pip! Thank you for sharing it. I think that when you are ready, if you go back through this list item by item, you will be able to come up with creative ways of handling each situation.

Best of luck, we're rooting for you! :biggrin

BRING IT ON!! -- personal mantra