Home  •  FAQ  •   Forums

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:56 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: PLEASE give me your input
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:16 pm 

I went through several residential treatment centers during high school, and I decided that I want to become an adolescent therapist when I am done with school. I am currently a junior in college majoring in psych, and plan on going to grad school soon after. I see myself still having this disorder all my life, but hopefully developing and perfecting coping mechanisms that make it tolerable and less present.

My problem is that I have learned healthier ways to sooth myself, but BPD still haunts me in seemingly everything I do and think. I am constantly questioning if this will hinder me in being an effective therapist. Even if I am effective, will I constantly be questioning myself and worrying if my patients like me?

So i guess my question is can a person with BPD be a good therapist? If so, what things might I struggle with most? Also, is it common for therapist to have existing disorders? what might be the best professions in your eyes for someone with BPD (weird question i know)

I hope this makes sense, it's making me really anxious whether or not im making the right career choice.

Post subject: Re: PLEASE give me your input
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:23 am 

if you have gone straight through school and are currently a jr. in college then i figure you must be @ 20 years old....correct?

believe it or not.....you are still very young and it is really normal for you to question yourself and the decisions you make. if you also have bpd.....then well......of course you're going to second guess/ self doubt/ etc......

my point is....your anxiety about your career choice is normal...no matter what the career choice is.......

i think this site is a perfect example of how well people with bpd can help others with bpd in a very effective way. of course you can be a great therapist if that is what you truly want to do. you will probably continue to self doubt for a long time to come...that's just really normal. as long as you are following your heart though.....then you'll always come back to the same answer.....hopefully a YES! this is for me!!

i would suggest though that you take some time to grow as an adult before becoming a therapist specifically for people with bpd. you could get experience in the field in a "safer" environment....like a school.....as a counselor. you'd have support from the other faculty when you feel like the student "doesn't like you" and you'd have controlled sessions......and basically a structure to your day.

basically....if you are at all wrapped up in yourself during a session with a client...you are doing the client a disservice.....so i think it is important to be sure that you can be there completely for the client before going into private practice........just my opinion.....

good luck!!!! sounds like you are doing very well so far!! :hobbes

Post subject: Re: PLEASE give me your input
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:25 am 

Hi Sensimillia,

I'm actually a junior in college too, and have thought about changing my major to psychology as well.

I've asked myself the same questions you are asking and have done a lot of thinking on the subject, especially since some of my BPD symptoms are severe (constant cutting and suicide attempts - the last one was two days ago)

When I'm in Wise Mind and not "crazy" these are the answers I give to myself:
1) Psychology is a lot of work on yourself, since you are your main subject of analysis. Medical doctors dissect cadavers - psychiatric doctors dissect themselves. Since we are already on the road to recovering from BPD, we have been and will be doing a lot of work on ourselves, so we're already on the right track there. Every psychologist had issues that will conflict with their therapy - ours are just a little bit bigger. Additionally, science has proven that after recovery from BPD has begun, BPD can (and often does) go into complete remission after 10 years. So by the time we finish our residency training, we can basically have our symptoms under control.

2) I think a lot of aspects of BPD actually make for a better therapist. We understand pain REALLY well, which gives us a leg up on those therapists who can't empathize with their patients. We can be there for patients like a lot of people can't, and I think that depth of experience and understanding is very special. In a sense, BPD can become a strength rather than a weakness here.

3) Even if my BPD is not in remission by the time I become a therapist, it's important for all therapists to visit therapists themselves. BPD is a lifelong project, and it's pairing with psychology is going to be a lot of work, but it can be done as long as the work is put into it.

4) If, as I (we) begin our career as therapists, it's important to catch the "this isn't working" signs. I'm an in-acting BPD, so if stuff in therapy begins to trigger me into self-harm or uncontrolled suicidal ideation, or if I begin dissociating during therapy sessions, I know it's time to stop. Though BPD sucks for me, I can't let it affect other people who are in pain. I know this may be tough to swallow, but I can't let my BPD hurt people who are already hurting, especially those who come to me for help. That's my only drawback, and until I'm actually in the scene of battle, it's hard to say if that's a possibility.

Depending on your particular form of BPD and symptoms, etc., it's hard to say what you might struggle with most, but since 50% of people have some mental health problem, I'm prepared to say that lots of therapists have existing disorders. I don't know this as a fact, I'm just guessing.

As far as the best profession for you, I"m asking myself this same question. One of our symptoms is that we have a very fuzzy sense of self, which makes it hard for us to find a career that fits - (if we don't know who we are, how do we find a career that's right for us?). I think as you do more work on yourself, you'll begin to discover who you are and will slowly begin to find a career that will work for you. I know that we don't have much time here - two years!! yikes!! - but I guess we just have to be brave and jump for it. Maybe take an extra year. Hopefully by my senior year I'll have figured out a little more, and I hope the same for you too, Sensimillia.

I hope this helps! If it doesn't, just write back and ask me to clarify what doesn't make sense :)
~Merry