Home  •  FAQ  •   Forums

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:09 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Summer blues/lack of structure/anxiety
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:24 pm 
Community Member
Community Member

I'm waiting for a phone call from my dr. regarding genetic testing I had done. It's making me so anxious! If it's positive, I may have to have surgery this summer.

Other than that, I have the summer blues. I don't work during the summer, though I have work I can do at home. My job never ends, and I'm kind of on my own. I also have some other projects I want to do. I make lists, but I'm in panic mode.

I'm also worrying about my kids and their health. The swine flu is still around.

In other words, I'm a mess!! I don't want to schedule a session with my T about this, though it might be helpful. I feel like I have to get through it myself, and make a schedule of what to do each day. I do better with structure, and during the summer I don't have any.

If only the dr. would call soon. I was going to go into work today, but I can't concentrate!

Maybe I'll run some errands. I have to bring some clothes to the cleaners and buy some bread. I gave the dr.'s office my cell phone, but I'm just too panicky!

Post subject: Re: Summer blues/lack of structure/anxiety
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:38 pm 

wondering...

I am a teacher so I didn't work in the summer for years and it always caused me panic at the end of June. Now I work summer school and I'm very happy with that. It is still a break from the intensity of teaching during the school year....but the schedule is there. Up everyday at the same time....shower....go to work.....then home, lunch.......etc.......and life is good.

The only way I could cope before was to have plans for every week of the summer.....actually my summer was all planned out by May and I was happy with that......but I was intolerant of changing my plans too.

Since I've gotten into gardening and cooking more I find much of my summertime freedom is consumed by those activities.....and they really make me feel good.

Another thing I used to do was create a reading "theme" for the summer and I'd assign myself books. It was a great way to continue educating myself and it always made me feel like I had something I had to do....so I was never bored.

I don't know if anything I wrote will inspire you to create your own schedule.....but I hope it inspires you to take control of your summer time....and make it a great time!

Oh...one more thing....my daily routines come to an end everyday in the summer @ 3:30 when I take the kids to the beach for 2-3 hours. I don't do it anymore because they are older....but that was a great way to end everyday when they were younger!!

all my best!
skio

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:59 pm 
Community Member
Community Member

skiotter: Thank you for responding. No one else seemed to care, but I know that's not something I have control over. The genetic tests came out negative. I am so relieved!!

Thanks for your advice about scheduling. I went to work for a couple of days and felt much better. I have to try to make some sort of schedule, but it depends if my kids are coming to visit or if we are going there. Everything is up in the air. I hate making decisions!

I'm doing some writing, as it's something I'm really passionate about but never make the time to do. I've got other projects and I'm going to make lists. The summer goes too fast, though.

My emotions still go up and down based on my interpretations of how I act in social situations. I know that doesn't make much sense.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:11 pm 
Community Member
Community Member

I'm still struggling with how to set priorities for how to occupy myself this summer. In the meantime, the days are slipping by. I spend too much time online and then I feel guilty. I've done some work, but not enough. Sometimes I want to scream! I've just got to get more organized before it's September. I know I need to make lists because they do work. I forgot to make some phone calls today that I needed to make. How do you stop from being overwhelmed with all the choices in life when you're not working? Or when you are working? There's just so much I want to do and I'm frustrating because I can't do it all. Then there is housework which gets shoved under the rug, LOL. What's the use, anyway?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:23 pm 

wondering...I hear you!!!!! I'm struggling with the same.....but today i found out i have one small excuse for being so lazy....i'm anemic. :(

nevertheless.....last night i told my daughter that we have to get more structure because staying up all night and sleeping all morning just isn't healthy for either of us.......so this am we woke up at 9:30......not great....but better than 1pm....which is when we got up on tuesday!!

re: housework...ugh.....i hate it! but during this time off i do tend to take care of it more than i do during the school year......i'm here more so the mess and clutter bugs me so i have to clean.

in order to motivate myself i have to make up projects and set goals.....daily goals. without them i don't get anything done. BUT......i think in order to be successful with that i do have to treasure at least this first week off of school.......indulge in the freedom to be lazy and not worry about anything. the truth is that the school year is really intense and i need to relax...and the only time to truly relax is now...because during the school year i'm still focused on school during every vacation...i just can't really let it go until now. i actually make myself not think about next year (september) until the last week in august.....and then i work hard every day again.

during this time......you can do all the stuff you can't do during the school year....read what you want.....do projects around the house.......reconnect with the kids, etc......the key (i think) is savoring the time off (without thinking about the future) and making the most of each and every day.

maybe you can share some thoughts with me about things you're interested in........??
~skio