Home  •  FAQ  •   Forums

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:09 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I'm here to help and listen
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:48 pm 

used to be really close friends with a woman that I believe has BPD! Our friendship was nothing but an up and down emotional roller coaster! she alternated between loving me and hating, pushing me away, then wanting to be close. It was crazy! There was a signifigant age difference between us too.. I met her when I was 19, and she was 38. So the way she was treating me, acting toward me was utterly ridiculous.

But... I guess from all the research I have done on this subject.. I understand it and why she is the way she is.
I have a bachelors degree in psychology, and will be going back to school in the spring to get my masters in counseling. If anyone wants to share their stories with me or talk.. feel free to comment or message me!

Post subject: Re: I'm here to help and listen
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 4:30 am 
Community Leader
Community Leader

Hi Dollbaby,

I have read (and posted in) your other thread about this woman and now a few questions come up for me. In your other thread you have directly stated that you're trying to understand this person, written after you posted here that you do understand her behaviour. Noticing this contradiction brings me to the question do you understand yourself on this subject?

I can also see, as a relative newby here, that you have not yet grasped some of the basic premises of the recovery style we practise here. BPDR encourages us all to work on ourselves, as well as help people in whatever way we can or choose to. An entire community of people who share similar problems amounts to quite a volume of knowledge, compassion, understanding and experience that can be very supportive and helpful for people's recovery, including your own (from whatever issues you've come here to address within yourself). But we cannot work on other people, who aren't here, basically because this isn't a forum for therapists to discuss how to "work on other people". As an emerging therapist yourself I imagine there is a wealth of information and insight already available in existing threads to assist you with that. We're about working on ourselves as well as assist other members to work on themselves. So although your experience and understanding may very well be a great asset to the community, I do urge you to turn the focus in your own threads on to you.

Have you read the Tools section of the site? The Five Steps, The Four Agreements, The Ten Ways to Untwist Your Thinking are very helpful recovery tools which you may like to familiarise yourself with in order to understand a bit of what's going on around here, and also to guide you to Healthier, Happier Living for yourself.

You've not done anything "wrong", as I can see you are new here, so I thought it maybe timely, in order for your own issues to be addressed, that I inform you of how this recovery board provides the nurturing, recovery based environment.