Home  •  FAQ  •   Forums

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:04 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: ADD?
PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 4:35 pm 

My new T has pointed out that I have a lot of ADD-type traits. (Although she doesn't want to overcomplicate matters with another diagnosis!)

I was wondering if anyone here has ADD, and what strategies you use to cope with it?

I've just ordered a book on getting organised when you have ADD, and will share what I've learned...

Lirael

"All the world is full of suffering. It is also full of overcoming." - Helen Keller

Post subject: Re: ADD?
PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 4:56 pm 

For what it’s worth: I was diagnosed with ADD years ago - I had limited focus & organization skills, a bad memory, and very little success with my BPD recovery until my psychiatrist started me on Citalopram. The change to my life has been remarkable. I now have the ability to stay in the present moment, continue conversations (on the same topic) for as long as I like, and my memory is the sharpest it’s ever been. It has given me the opportunity at creating a life. Granted I still have lots of work to do towards my recover but it is the defining factor that is making my recovery possible.

For me it’s amazing, it might be something you can ask about.

Post subject: Re: ADD?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:51 am 

They just put me on Celexa (Citalopram), along with my Seroquel. I'm very ADD. There's ADD meds, but my current doc won't put me on them for fear that I'll abuse them... I didn't know that Citalopram could be used for ADD. I just kinda live with it, along with everything else, in dysfunctional way. I envy people that can actually hold down a job, do normal things, and not be a complete mess like me. Been in the psych-world for over 10 years now... well, longer if you count teens. Even did CBT when I was institutionalized 7-8ish years ago. I just fail at everything, unfortunately. Been on all kinds of meds. I've had my diagnoses changed a few times, with BPD being the newest and most likely after the docs looked at my huge stack of medical history in the last 10 years. For a long while, they thought I was just a rapid cycling bipolar... although, the mood stabilizers weren't working well (I'm on Tegrotal now, still, and I used to be on Lithium and Depakote before). Anyway, BPD make sense, and they were running out of ideas, probably. Also, probably why nothing hasn't worked well since they were going in the wrong direction for so long. Labled BPD for the last couple of years, but I haven't gotten much help for it (thus, I'm visiting here).

Hmmmm, I sound the like poster girl for hope, eh?

Anyway -- how can I turn this into a positive? Um, okay, the positive is that now they know, for a zillion-percent sure, that I have BPD and it's been proven in the last couple of years for sure. So, that means, if they know what's wrong there must be some correct help. Having the wrong treatment doesn't work. Sadly, waiting for the correct help is killing me (literally, with suicide attempts, the last one was really leathal... I'm still wondering how I survived it, 'cause the docs have no idea how).

Anyway, coming here is a step into taking things into my own hands for my own health, since it's taking way too long for them to actually really help me.