Home  •  FAQ  •   Forums

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:43 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fighting the winter blahs
PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:24 pm 

I have noticed a distinct decrease in my positivity level. I'm spouting more and more negativity, rather than being able to focus on the postive. THe ground seems foggy, shaky, like I"m not sure how to find my way. But, the thing is: I do know my way this happens every winter. I just have to remember how I make the depression lessen in intensity and duration.

Exercise: I haven't exercised since summer ended. I want to, but it's winter so it is more of a challenge. I tried riding my mountain bike when it was snowy out, and it really didnt go well. So, that hobby is out. I'm batting social anxiety currently because I KNOW I need some kind of a structured physical class, preferably in the sunlight. (Lack of sunlight during winter is a huge factor for me.) I have the opportunity to participate in an adult hip hop class, and a writer's group, and a tai chi class although my ex attends so not sure if that one is wise or not at the moment) and possibly an adult beginner ballet class. And I'm having to fight the resistance ...that feeling where you don't know anyone you don't know what to expect, you are scared - at least that's how I feel.

What else? Self Care - Marcia used to that the crappier you felt, the more you meed self-care. THat for me, self care is not a luxury, it is a necessity because is gives me the energy to fight the depression demons.

WHat else - look at my actions, not my feelings because my actions are a better indicator of how I'm doing. I have worked a lot this week It's Thursday and I have 12 hours overtime already. I mailed both sister's xmas presents, I paid all my major bills and went through all of my mail...

So, question I guess: when you feel yourself starting to get depressed, how do you cope? WHat techniques and strategies have been the most effective for you?

I know it will pass...I just need to remember the skills which will help me minimize the depression.

Thanks for the input.

Post subject: Re: Fighting the winter blahs
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:09 am 

Your plan sounds good to me, especially the self care. :thumbsup I couldn't agree more!

I think when you're starting a new class or group, it's normal to have those feelings. For me, not knowing what to expect is the worst thing. Once you've been once, it gets a lot easier. Do you need to start all of them now, or can you take it one at a time? Maybe taking a friend with you, or getting as much info as possible before you go, could help?

Here are some of the strategies I use to get me through depression:

• reach out for support - let people around me know I'm depressed and how they can help
  • give myself lots of small treats and rewards - I guess that comes under self care
  • anything that needs to be done, I break it down into small steps and reward myself after each one, even if it's just 5 mins of housework
  • journalling can help, as can CBT / the tools here / DBT skills
  • I try to get some fresh air every day and go out in the sunshine (or sit in a sunny window) whenever there is any
  • make sure my GP/pdoc and T know how I'm feeling

Have you ever thought about getting a lightbox?

I hope some of this is helpful. :comfort

Lirael

"All the world is full of suffering. It is also full of overcoming." - Helen Keller

Post subject: Re: Fighting the winter blahs
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:49 am 

Lireal,

Thanks for all of the tips and suggestions. I think you are right - I just have to get through that initial class and then I won't feel as anxious. I remember from past experience that the anxiety is usually worse than the actual event. Thanks again.