Home  •  FAQ  •   Forums

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:42 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: the new library, processing and more processing.
PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:32 pm 

I am sitting at the new Basalt library, which I'm glad to say is awesome. It is ironic, because I came from Chicago and from a really Barnes & Noble type, technologically advanced library to Colorado to the Basalt library and I couldn't deal. I knew they were going to build a new, better one but when I worked there, I couldn't hold on. I was so incredibly bored out of my mind.

Some people say that things happen for a reason. If all that stuff with Chris went down, and I was still working at the Basalt library, maybe I would have lost my job, instead of having an understanding boss who held on when I went through my bad spell with the breakup.

I was a little scared to walk in here. I actually don't want to see anyone I used to work with. It is a beautiful library and half the distance I was going. I need to do the grad school stuff in a library because it helps me concentrate, which is why I'm here today. They just opened the new Basalt library last week and I know a lot of the same people work here.

I'm going to get over my anxiety about running into people I know because right now I am sitting by a fireplace, with a view of a snow-covered stream in a beautiful library.

I"m somewhat procrastinating. I need to write my statement of purpose for grad school, and I've been struggling with it. I need to just write the thing and stop attaching emotional connotations to it (which is such a bpd thing I do and I only make it harder on myself.)

Affirmations: I am safe and I am strong. I deserve happiness. I am worthy of fulfilling my dreams. I am worthy of fulfilling my dreams.

Okay, off I go

thanks for listening

Post subject: Re: the new library, processing and more processing.
PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:29 pm 
Community Leader
Community Leader

I too had to face co-workers after a bad spell one time. They were far more supportive than I suspected they would be. One thing that helped me is the saying "Those that mind don't matter, those that matter don't mind." Turned out to be very true.

Having never been to Grad School, what does a statement of purpose entail? Is it a statement of what you want to accomplish? What you plan on studying? (Don't feel you have to answer. I just thought some probing questions might help you to get started. I am a horrible procrastinator, let me know if I can help in some way, even if just asking questions or offering encouragment.)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:58 pm 

Thanks Kari! I actually am not sure what a statement of purpose is supposed to entail - which is half my problem right now! lol. I wrote a draft, which I am sending to an old professor of mine who is going to write a letter of recommendation for me, and ask him what it is supposed to entail actually.

I have a first draft done, and a cover letter for the application package I will eventually send in. Slowly but surely, I am making progress!

Thanks for the words of encouragement.

smiles,

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:03 am 

Hi Pip,

Well done for finishing your first draft! :thumbsup That's fantastic - I often think the first draft is the hardest. I hope you get some good advice from your old professor on where to go from here.

And well done also for going to the library. :D Did you come across any of your old colleagues in the end?

I've been reading your posts with interest, because I'm applying to do a PhD at the moment, and finding the application process hard going. I need to write a proposal for the research I want to do and the thought of that scares the **** out of me. I also need to contact potential supervisors and basically sell myself and my proposal to them, which although I know rationally it's the right move, seems to break every "rule" I learned growing up.

Would you like for us to cheer each other on? Maybe we could encourage each other and set goals together...

Lirael

"All the world is full of suffering. It is also full of overcoming." - Helen Keller

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:20 am 

Lireal,

That is a wonderful idea! What I have found to be useful is to break everthing down into baby steps. I have steps 1-4, with mini baby-steps detailed out for each "baby step." It has really helped me to stay in the moment and focus on one thing at a time without getting too overwhelmed.

Maybe that might work for you too?

For instance, here's my list which I have on my dry-erase board, and I checkmark them off as I accomplish them.

Step One - take the GRE successfully - checkmark
Step Two - Gather all of the application materials
mini-step - 10 page paper checkmark
mini-step - 3 letter of rec. checkmark
mini step- statement of purpose - drafted
mini-step - offical transcripts
1. Bradley checkmark
2. ICC - form obtained, needs filled out.
3. Augustana - contacted, pending

Anyways, you get the idea. lol. The thing is it really helps me break it down as much as possible and to make a schedule - like this weekend one of the two days I will be at the libary for at least 3 hours to work on grad stuff.

I think it is a wonderful idea to help encourage one another. Please let me know how I can encourage you, and I would be more than happy to do so, and in the process help myself as well.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:43 am 

I agree on the baby steps. That's how I managed to apply for my master's three years ago.

I've set aside an hour every weekday to work on my application, so I'll post my goals and progress here. I think just having someone to share those with helps keep me accountable - of course, anyone here can do that - but if you're working towards the same thing it's a bonus, because you can inspire me and hopefully vice versa. :)

So, today I will:
  • Email my former tutor with my ideas and a question about funding. If I stay at the same uni and he becomes my supervisor it's ideal, but the funding at that uni doesn't look so promising.
  • Email initial enquiries to the other three unis I'm considering.

Let me know how you get on this weekend!

Lirael

"All the world is full of suffering. It is also full of overcoming." - Helen Keller

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:59 pm 

Lireal - such a great idea, both about the encouragement and support, and the being held accountable. I am really glad you suggested it.

My goal for this weekend is to go to the Basalt library, fill out the ICC transcript request form and mail it, and get a second draft of my statement of purpose done. Also, to research online examples of statement of purpose type essays to help clarify my understanding of what admissions committee is looking for.

So, how did you do today? Did you get to checkmark those tasks off of your list?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:06 am 

I got the email sent to my former supervisor. I ran out of time and haven't sent the initial enquiries to the other unis, but I'll do that today instead.

Good luck with your transcript request form and statement of purpose!