Home  •  FAQ  •   Forums

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:44 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Lireal - motivating each other
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:21 pm 

The other thread was getting a bit long, so I thought I"d start a new one.

So, how did it go with getting the letters out?

As for me, I accomplished my goal on Sunday. I requested another set of transcripts (only one more to go!) and I finished another draft of my statement of purpose. I think I just need to be done with the statement of purpose and send in the application package. Once I do that, I can checkmark off step two, and move on to step four (Step three is them accepting me, which I have no control over so ... lol)

Where are you at in your process now?

smiles,

Post subject: Re: Lireal - motivating each other
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:59 pm 

Hi Pip,

That's fantastic! Well done :thumbsup

I've had some feedback on my ideas from my old tutor, and have arranged to meet him to talk things through.

I'm feeling less sure whether I'd want to study at the other universities, and so I haven't contacted them. Rationally I know it's OK to ask for more details even if I'm not sure I want to go there, and indeed that getting those details could help me make a decision, so I guess really that's just an excuse for me to put off contacting them. ;)

So I'll aim to do it tomorrow. (But my top priority for tomorrow, apart from work, is going to be ringing my optician because I've been making do with contact lenses that don't give me great vision, and putting off dealing with that too, and I deserve to take care of myself better than that!)

Lirael

"All the world is full of suffering. It is also full of overcoming." - Helen Keller

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:10 am 

Lireal - that's great that you spoke with your old tutor, and have a scheduled meeting with him!

Maybe you are feeling overwhelmed about the other universities? I know that for me, I did initially look at several schools but narrowed it down to one. My dad asked my the other day why I was only applying to one, and I thought, "because detailing my plan for one is enough." lol.I know that for me if I try to do too much at one time, then I get overwhelmed and end up doing nothing or procrastinating. Or, maybe writing a list regarding the other universities (what you need to ask them, contact info, etc.) might help break it down into smaller bites.

Anyways, self-care is definitely a priority! Good for you for getting the contacts situation resolved.

My goal for this weekend is to look over everything one more time, and then send off my final application package to grad school. In the last few days, I found an editor, whom I paid to do a cursory proof of my cover letter and Statement of Purpose and I am now ready to send everything in. Yeah!

I also need to decide what to do about taxes. Last year I did my federal taxes and never got around to doing state. I need that info to prove residency so I need to fix it. I am undecided whether to just go to H&R Block, have them fix the tax situation and pay whatever fee or to try to do it myself. So, I'll make the decision this weekend and then act on that decision next weekend.

Good luck Lireal! Let me know how you are progressing!

smiles

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:36 am 

I think you're right, I was definitely feeling overwhelmed by the other universities!

I had a really good meeting with my ex tutor on Thurs. We talked through my ideas and it helped to clarify and cement things a lot. I'm going to write my research proposal(s) this coming week.

Unfortunately, he's confirmed what I suspected - that if I do the PhD with him, the best funding I can hope for is a fees-only grant. So that would mean doing it part time while continuing to work full time... not impossible, and it's how I got my master's, but it would be very challenging and I'd need to work on my time management skills!

The alternative is to apply to a different uni that has full funding available. I've looked at my list of three and narrowed it down to the one I like best, so I'm going to contact them, but after I've written a draft of my research proposal, as that will help me feel more confident.

How are you getting on? Did you send the application in?

I'm sooo not looking forward to doing my taxes for the first time later this year! Good luck with yours.

Lirael

"All the world is full of suffering. It is also full of overcoming." - Helen Keller

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:02 am 

Dangit - I lost my other post. Here goes again ...

First off, congratulations on meeting with the ex-tudor and finding out new information, and for narrowing down the choice to one other university. That is huge progress! Sounds like with the new information you have, it has narrowed it down enough to take that next baby step, and I think it is great you are now working on your research proposal.

As for me, yes, I have sent all graduate application information in. I resolved my 2008 tax situation and can send them in tomorrow. I filed my 2009 taxes today and have filled out the FAFSA application, which is the beginning of my next baby step towards figuring out how I'm going to pay for grad school, if I get accepted. In two weeks, the university is having an open house that I am going to and I am hoping I can learn more about financial aid, meet the English Department, check out the campus, etc. I am working hard on eliminating all of my current debt, which I'm glad to say should be eliminated within the next month and then I can concentrate on saving for the move. That's pretty much where I am at currently. My goal for the next week is to mail the 2008 taxes, mail in the FAFSA application, and research online about funding for graduate school a bit more. Hopefully, by next week I can email the English Department to verify they have received everything they need from me.

I used TurboTax, which cost about $60 by the time I was done, but it was very easy and they take you through it step by step. Ironically, I tried the IRS forms myself and shorted myself $400, so it was actually worth the $60. Maybe using Turbo Tax could help you too? Or, it might be more prudent to just bite the bullet and go to an accountant or H&R Block if your taxes will be complicated.

Keep up the good work, and keep me posted! Kudos to both of us!