Home  •  FAQ  •   Forums

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:47 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Roller Coaster
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:36 pm 

Oh Yes that's how I feel today. I do not understand how I could go from feeling okay to feeling not good enough. It's like my brain thinks what happens if I am never good at anything, what happens if I am a failure at everything I try. I lost my job last week and it is truly making me feel horrible. I know that I am thinking black and white because I am scared that I am never going to get another job. I am trying to remind myself that the place that I was terminated from is not the only place to work in town although it is the largest company in town. Its hard because one moment I can be okay (not great) but okay the very next I feel like crap. I keep trying to fight this with logical thinking but when your heart truly aches its really hard.

Post subject: Re: Roller Coaster
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:08 am 

Hi SigmaBeth,

First, ((hugs)) for the anxiety you are feeling. I know it seems like the emotional roller coaster can bet the best of us sometimes, but sometimes it helps to slow down and attack each of those emotions as they come up, so they won't snowball as much.

It's really hard to lost a job. Have you tried the "untwisting your thoughts" skill? What does losing your job mean - emotionally and financially? Have you been able to work through those situations using skills? I ask because if you can use the skills as the situations arise, then it can help decrease your emotions from veering from one extreme to the other. Also, trying to really stay in the moment can really help as a distress tolerance skill

And you are right - sometimes even when we use the skills, it is hard. It took me awhile to realize that the skills will not automatically make me feel better. But, if I keep using them then I can stay in a better place in my mind over time. (If that made any sense. lol)

Keep hanging on, keep practicing skills and know that it will get easier. And remember, YOU are good enough. You are worthy. And, you will be okay. You, my friend, are couarge in action.

Post subject: Re: Roller Coaster
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:30 am 

I am brand new to this whole BPD thing. I have known that I have had this for almost ten years. Well... I should say I was in denial I did not want this I thought it was horrible etc... I tried to convince myself that everyone was wrong and they did not have a clue what they were talking about. So, I am now sitting in a place where I know that I need therapy and financially I can't afford it. I am working on trying to do this alone and learn these skills by myself. I'm not sure if there is a place to learn these skills or if there is a way to learn these skills alone. I just found this site yesterday. I appreciate you taking the time to respond to my post.