Home  •  FAQ  •   Forums

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:11 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: age>
PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:20 pm 

How old is everyone here? Do you find that over times it gets easier to fight this BPD?

I'm twenty seven years old. I have found that over time things do get easier. Like some of my symptoms are much better than a few years ago. I feel so old some days. Like time flies so quickly.

Post subject: Re: age>
PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:43 am 

I'm 29. I've had some really good therapy and done a lot of self-help stuff over the past 7 years and am more or less recovered (though it's hard to know exactly where to draw the recovery line!) I don't think my age has had much to do with that, as in I don't think I would have got better on my own without the right help... but who knows, maybe being older and wiser has played its part. ;)

Lirael

"All the world is full of suffering. It is also full of overcoming." - Helen Keller

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:25 am 

I'm 27, and I don't necessarily believe getting older really had anything to do with working on my recovery from BPD. I've seen some borderline behaviors in myself be both worse and better compared to say, 5 years ago. The body can grow, doesn't necessarily mean the emotional mind comes along for the ride. It depends on how I choose to approach it and treat it(or find the help to treat it).

Although I do believe of course that my that my wants and needs change with age. Doesn't necessarily mean they're always for the best.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:27 pm 

i'm 23; but, i really don't think age matters, but certain relationship situations seem to. i can't relate to a lot of situations involving children or spouses because i have no kids and i'm not married. however i find i can relate to anyone who is experiencing loneliness, twisted thoughts, etc, regardless of age or situation.

i find what matters most in communicating or reading communications on this board is an individual's stage in recovery. the more recovered ones seem to post more successful stories than problem stories and offer good objective advice and directions to useful tools. i have no clue how old they are (i'm sure i could guess) but i don't care to know either.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:41 pm 

32, but I agree with others that age is not as important as, say, amount of time and effort you have put into recovery. Right now I feel as though I am "maturing out of" my BPD but I don't think that has as much to do with my age as it has to do with just being sick of doing the same destructive things and getting the same negative results. How many times can you hit your head against the wall before the pain makes you stop? Same with my drinking problem... I just got sick of hating myself.