Home  •  FAQ  •   Forums

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:22 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: going backwards
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:40 pm 
Community Member
Community Member

Hi,
Some of you might have read several of my posts here. I was feeling very down the last few days, feeling most unworthy and feeling like I'm a burden to those who care for me enough to listen to me when I couldn't control those intense, strong negative emotions. I was even thinking of cutting myself to relieve myself of the intense emotional pain but refrained.

Called my psychiatrist today, and he told me, "it's okay. It's okay to take one step forward and two steps backwards. Just keep moving, the recovery process takes time. Whenever you go through periods like that, tell yourself it's okay and it's normal and it's expected. You have taken many steps forward, just keep going"

That made me feel much better. That sometimes, it's okay if we go backwards. Coz it's part of the process.

Anyone has other experiences to share? Or tips? Or stories of how you went through this forward backward thing?

Post subject: Re: going backwards
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:09 am 
Community Leader
Community Leader

In therapy, my T told me the same thing. That it was okay to take steps backwards because I was also taking some forwards. It's all part of the process. Oh, and it happens in life too-- all of life is not good or bad, black and white. There is some good, some bad, some in-between. It all relates in my mind nowadays.

It helped me put things into perspective. Instead of intensely focusing on the negative or the backsteps I would take, I learned to focus on the positive or the forward steps. They both count and I can choose which one to give more credence or more of my energy, right? I choose positivity! It really helped me learn to look on the bright side of things.

BRING IT ON!! -- personal mantra