Home  •  FAQ  •   Forums

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:15 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: more than I can handle
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:27 am 

Out of control ... messed up and notihing but chaos. Last week of TA training and I still don't have a goddamn clue. My first class starts this Monday.

My friend Darren is still crashing here... and I am over my stress threshold. How do I deal with that? Grad school, which hasn't even started yet, is beyond intense. The TA training, which I'm supposed to teach a stinking class, is out of control. Three days into the training, and I am so overwhelmed and confused that I am really questioning whether I should have attempted this in the first place.

What do you do when your threshold of stress is over inflated?

I am seriously not sure if can deal with this. I am beyond terrified. And, external factors, like my moocher friend crashing at my place, is adding so much more stress to a situation that is already out of control. What am I supposed to do? How do lower the stress factor?

I am seriously afraid that I cannot do this - the teacher thing, and the grad school thing, and the life thing on top of that.

I have been crying off and on for the lst three days. That is not acceptable. How do I take care of myself without feeling guilty? Without feeling like a failure, because I can't seem to manage it all right now?

Dysfunctional thoughts - I'm sure - And yet, emotionally intense at the same time. I feel like I'm floundering.

Help.

Post subject: Re: more than I can handle
PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:30 am 
Community Member
Community Member

hey :)
Maybe you might want to consider being honest with your friend? You don't have to say much or reveal everything, you can just tell him something like you're going through a really tough time, and the doctor has adviced that you need some space to sort out your stuff. After all friendship is about honesty?Just a suggestion :)
Yeah feeling overwhelmed is quite normal :) You mentioned that the TA thing is out of control. Perhaps you might want to examine specifically what are your expectations of yourself, and whether they are reasonable :)
We're here for you :)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:40 pm 

Thanks meremortal! I wrote that on a night I was feeling extremely chaotic (if you can't tell) lol. I am adapting. Thank you for the support.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:44 am 
Community Member
Community Member

BPDpip5 wrote:
I wrote that on a night I was feeling extremely chaotic (if you can't tell)

hehe :) Chaotic times, don't we all go through that? *whining* I so get what you mean, especially when we feel overwhelmed, chaotic and nothing seems clear, everything's just fuzzy and blur and strong and intense!

we're 'special' people! *whining again* LOL