Home  •  FAQ  •   Forums

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:09 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: On the border ...
PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 3:22 am 

The title is appropriate... Graduate school just terrifies the crap out of me ... I'm afraid I can't do it, I'm afraid that I am not good enough. The first week is over, and right now I am just questioning if I made the right decision... to pursue my dream ... to try, when quite honestly, I am not sure if I am realistically capable of suceeding.

The reality is that there has been an excess of stress lately. The stress being my friend Darren (who is a moocher and a hardcore alcoholic) to my sister, who is here now, and who is just trying to rebuild her life (which, God knows, I so understand, as I've been there myself), to moving to Denver, to starting graduate school, and to not having a t

How do I balance all of these needs and changes? And, how do I be true to myself? And, how do I not become lost in the process?

Post subject: Re: On the border ...
PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 3:14 pm 
Senior Community Leader
Senior Community Leader

I wish I had the answers to give you but if they exist, you'll find them inside yourself my dear.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:25 am 
Senior Community Leader
Senior Community Leader

Take one day at a time. Break it down even farther if you need to -- one class at a time, one hour at a time. Don't obsess about the rest of the day/week/month/year. Do the best you can with each task, and allow yourself to be less than perfect. "Good enough" will do. And keep breathing.

Your sister may need space in your apartment for a while, and some moral support, but don't take on being her caretaker any more than is absolutely necessary. If her life needs rebuilding, she's going to have to figure it out for herself, just as you have the last few years.

You don't get a whole lot of chances to follow your dreams in life -- you've got this one, so don't give it up without a fight.

Can you find some kind of a t through student health services?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:30 pm 

Thank you both. I am going to get a t tomorrow through the school. Hopefully, that will help me keep things in check.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:54 pm 
Senior Community Leader
Senior Community Leader

I hope so!