Home  •  FAQ  •   Forums

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:09 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Impulsive Ridiculous statements..sometimes you gotta laugh!
PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:12 pm 

Sometimes I say, impulsively, the stupidest, rudest, most inappropriate things. Yesterday I went to an exhibition, nearly stepped on a floor sculpture (typical), listened to a woman tell myself and my friend about the artist's interpretation of the fur she'd stuck to her work and how it could've taken on a different meaning for the viewers. Me: "Roadkill!" My friend (used to it) had the expression of "oh god, here we go again".

It will occur to me hours or days later what I've said, and I'll think "God, did I really say that?"

Post subject: Re: Impulsive Ridiculous statements..sometimes you gotta laugh!
PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:37 am 
Senior Community Leader
Senior Community Leader

At least you said something PG-rated! I probably would have said something R-rated.

Has it caused you much trouble, the impulsive comments? I'm finding that I'm struggling with that very issue right now in a slightly different way. More often than not, my comments are taken in a comedic way so there's not a whole lot of embarassment associated with them but I'm finding myself appreciating the attention of the laughter which then prompts me to continue the comments. Maybe not in that particular setting but continue commenting when it's really not my place to be saying anything simply because I can probably get a laugh (aka attention) or, in many cases, be recognized as having "the correct answer" (aka attention.)

As a result of a number of factors at the office, I recently (three weeks ago) moved to a new area which is far away from my own team and department. I actually sit in the midst of two other teams in another department and it's been an interesting challenge for me to keep my comments to myself. I'm not sure I like it (duh!) but I'm hoping it will be good for me to learn to hold my tongue and let moments slip past without comment.

Post subject: Re: Impulsive Ridiculous statements..sometimes you gotta laugh!
PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:18 pm 

Ash,

yes, yes and yes. I range from PG to R. PG would be the times I say things like "I don't like you". R would be what I said to a girl to cause an official warning to all students to treat each other with courtesy, consideration and respect in tutes.

I've taken over classes by being the class clown, and frighteningly my sense of humour changes shape to fit the people I'm with as well. I just have this frightening ability to "read" people and give them what I know will work for them.

Plus to put the focus back onto myself in any situation, and of course, eliciting laughter would keep me going too (like they just keep winding).

But as for embarrassment, it is not something I experience often.

It's good that you can work.. I would like to work one day. Does anyone there know you have bpd?