Home  •  FAQ  •   Forums

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:09 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: update and such
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:41 pm 

10.14.10 Thought: Can you do an ethnographic study of yourself? I’m thinking about all of the journals I’ve collected over the years. They tell a story. I’m not sure what that story is exactly, but it is still a story nonetheless. A random thought, to be sure, but I’ll go with it for right now.
I got a B+ on my critical analysis paper – my first academic paper in over a decade! I feel so good about that. I know – grades aren’t supposed to define self, but it feels so good, so validating when you do receive a good grade on something you’ve worked really hard on.
So, tonight I’m celebrating a bit. Drank some wine on the stoop. Hung out with Bethie. Ran into more people than I can count, most of them exuding chaos.
I’m still in shock somewhat … that I got a B+ on that. I thought for sure I would be fortunate if I received a C. And, quite honestly, at this point – a C could be acceptable. Graduate school is hard, and I am rusty in dealing with the academic environment.
I feel so happy, so what’s the right word? So ____________. My hard work paid off, and that is a nice feeling. Now, the challenge becomes to duplicate the effect while keeping my sanity. Lol.

Post subject: Re: update and such
PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:27 pm 
Senior Community Leader
Senior Community Leader

Congrats on the grade, pip! That's awesome.

I know when I went back to school in my 30s to get a nursing degree, I was very rusty as far as studying, I had a husband and two young children I still had to deal with, I hadn't done especially well the last time I'd been in school, and I didn't have a ton of confidence that I was going to succeed. I just knew that if I didn't try, I'd regret it for the rest of my life. When I did pretty well on my first exam, I was so happy, so validated -- it was such a boost to my confidence. Later on, there were other tests and skills tests that didn't go as well, and I'd get pissed, mostly at myself, but I always thought back to the first test, and told myself if I could do that then I can do this.

I've never taken graduate-level courses, but everyone I know who has says it's way more intense. I think you've gotten off to a pretty great start, and the difference in the way you sound now compared to the first few weeks is amazing. You'll probably encounter a few rough patches in the future, but don't you dare give up on yourself.

You deserve a little celebration.

Post subject: Re: update and such
PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:15 am 

Thanks, Sari! It's amazing how we acclimate, without even realizing we are acclimating. lol.

Thanks again for the words of encouragement. They help!
smiles,