Home  •  FAQ  •   Forums

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:37 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Am I BPD or not?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:57 am 

So, I finally made an appointment to see a new therapist. It has been a while and I was a bit aprehensive because I hate to have to retell all my history and past to a new person. After taking the family history into account and talking with me a bit, the new therapist suggests that I have been misdiagnosed as BPD and am probably really bi-polar.
So, she puts me on lithium and is checking my blood for chemical imbalances. The lithium has actually been helping me with my moods, and crazy thoughts and I am not having the spontaneous crying spells. So, how do I proceed with treatment and all? Am I not BPD because the meds are working? What happens to my disability if they change my diagnosis?
And I hate to voice this, but I am a bit angry that a misdiagnosis (if it was such) caused me to go untreated and unmedicated because I kept hearing that nothing can treat bpd and it was futile to try too hard.

Post subject: Re: Am I BPD or not?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:17 pm 

I'm not a therapist so I don't want to make any comments on whether it's bpd or bp that you have. But I too struggle with the right pinpoint label for my condition to get the right treatment. I tried a dbt program and it was a terrible experience to go through because of the particular staff involved. This was not helpful, especially because I've heard too that there isn't other treatment for bpd. After months of deeper pain and depression I keep looking formore treatment that may help. Ivecome to realize a lot of improvement relies with daily routine and work with myself. I have thematerial for dbt and now it's up to me to use it everyday. That combined with medication should be successful treatment. Personally I'm not finding it too helpful as I'm still living day to day with broke accounts no job no family but luckily an amazing partner. Even she isn't enough to treat my condition or depression. I'm not convinced that there isn't more going on with me than bpd. But the thing to focus on is what does help so I do my best to keep up with those things and keep active on pursuing treatment and opinions from medical professionals. I have faith that with time and patience well all get better.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:19 am 

Keep up a positive attitude and be dedicated to getting better no matter what...
The new therapist asked me if I thought I was bp or bpd...I told them at this point something has to change and the "label" is not that important to me other than how it affects my "income" which has been disability for the past ten years. It is a daunting thought to think that I will be given a scrip and sent back out into the workforce cold turkey lol

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:45 pm 

It would be terrifying to be given a scrip and sent back out! I agree! Regardless of the label there are some common threads that dbt shares with other tools geared towards a happier healthier life. Like meditation. Also a lot of treatment encourages better behaviour with practiced decision making tools. The thing I think ssome of us need to question rationally is how our behaviour really is. How do our behaviours influence or affect ourselves and others. If we have sought to adapt our behaviours to minimize pain or damage to ourselves and others we need to recognize the work we've done with that and hopefully that minimizes some fears we hold to get back out into the world of work. Sometimes trust in yourself that you have gained insight and knowledge from our recovery process already began.