Home  •  FAQ  •   Forums

It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:38 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: C-PTSD vs. BPD
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:10 pm 

Has anyone ever been diagnosed with BPD but felt that maybe there was more to it?

I know that upwards of 80% of BPD patients have had traumatic experiences. However I am wondering of my 7-8 years of continuous trauma (witnessing domestic rape/violence) is at the root cause of my "BPD" or "C-PTSD"

I think this is important as maybe DBT & CBT may not be as efficient as other therapies. Also, much of my therapy is to talk about present feelings of loneliness, verbal abuse to avoid abandonment etc, but maybe new literature on C-PTSD may mandate that people who have "BPD" and childhood trauma revisit their past in depth and make connections to today.

I mean aside from symptoms how can our clinicians really diagnose us? To varying degrees I meet the BPD criterion (7 out of 9) to varying degrees. But no one has used fMRI's to look at my brain to see if I really have a smaller hypothalamus and amygdyla (limbic system).

Thoughts,

Thanks

Post subject: Re: C-PTSD vs. BPD
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:24 pm 

I definitely agree that there is a connection between childhood trauma and the development of BPD, but that doesn't necessarily mean that BPD is caused by unresolved childhood issues, if that makes any sense. I think it might be best to look at it from an individual standpoint. If you have witnessed things that still haunt you today, it would probably be very beneficial to talk about it with a professional you trust.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:26 pm 

Bigger problem is that my family and I, with the exception of my brother, have been in denial. We pretended our family was perfect to the outside world. I exhibited some behaviors like drawing myself committing suicide in 4th grade and had therapy with a group in 6th, but never discussed why. I always said things were fine.

My memories were repressed till recent.

I'm thinking my issues are a result of 7 years of witnessing such violence...maybe it's trauma/complex PTSD and not BPD...if there is even a difference.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:32 pm 

From my studies in psychology as an undergraduate, I have found that cognitive dissonance can cause a lot of instability in a person. Ultimately, you have this image of yourself, your family, your world... but when that image doesn't match up with reality, it can cause a lot of emotional distress and escapism very similar to the symptoms of BPD. It sounds to me like that might be something you are experiencing.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:28 pm 

i have read where 1 of the major differences in bipolar and bpd was that bipolar is mainly a chemical imbalance with the most of the same symptoms as bpd. i read where bpd is mainly caused by traumatic childhood experiences. i am diagnosed with bpd ptsd, and major depression.i was severely abused in all ways until i was about 18 tears old. i have biweekly cognitive therapy and take meds. we dont have dbt programs where i live. also go to alanon group which is specifically for ppl who grew up in an alcoholic home. mine was alcoholic and chaotic. a lot of the members have many of the same experiences as me and i have hope as i see them becoming healthier ppl. hope this helps