Home  •  FAQ  •   Forums

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:10 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What if I can't
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:21 am 

Due to the low income white trashyness that is my life, I'v never had consistent insurance. Now that I do I am making up for lost time. Which is good.
I've gotten a right and proper diagnosis and consistent meds and theapy to deal with it. Everything else that is wrong with me is abnormally normal. Plus, it's made worse by my car accident when I was fourteen.

My boys, well...
My oldest son has emotional behaviour disorder and moderate hearing loss. Enough so that he is getting hearing aids.
My youngest also has EBD plus Aspbergers and similar hearing loss.

In the course of three weeks they have gone from being "normal" to being like my clients.

I'm worried that now I have to be more than a "good enough" mom and I have to be an excellent one. These boys are the world to me and I don't want to screw them up more than I clearly already have.
What if I can't do it though?

Post subject: Re: What if I can't
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:14 pm 
Senior Community Leader
Senior Community Leader

Moms (and dads) expecting their second child often wonder if they will have "enough love" for both their first and the new baby. And then the new little one arrives, and they're smitten, and they realize that love is infinite. I think the same sort of thing applies to caring for them. You will do what you can, and it will be "good enough." You have gotten them diagnosed, and there will be treatment plans. You will follow through to the best of your ability. You will do your best, and that's all you can do.

As someone who has developed hearing loss and who now wears hearing aids in both ears, I wouldn't discount the idea that your boys' emotional issues are at least partially related to the fact that they can't hear. There is nothing more frustrating than trying to get along in the world and not being able to understand speech, whether in the classroom or on TV or in dinner-table conversation. By the time I finally went to the doctor, I would probably miss 50% of the meaning of what I was listening to, unless it was TV where I could turn the volume up to levels that others found blisteringly loud.

It's tragic that inability to get insurance means that people can't get the diagnoses and treatments they so desperately need. I don't know whether the healthcare reforms as they are will help, or if they will be (stupidly) repealed before they can be assessed. But clearly things need to change. Getting kids with hearing or vision loss assessed and into the appropriate aids or glasses is an obvious example.

Believe in yourself. You're doing great.