Home  •  FAQ  •   Forums

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:44 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: How to not flip out?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:35 am 

I guess I need help not taking things so personally...I'm trying to get back into my therapy and medication treatment program right now, but every little snag I hit seems like the end of the world. My therapist had to reschedule my appointments twice, because he had pneumonia. I know it doesn't make any sense, but after the second time he'd rescheduled, I started having this whole monologue going in my head about how he was mad at me for not coming in for three months, he was rescheduling the appointments to punish me/make me look foolish, he wasn't actually going to see me anymore but it was just going to be another backhanded dumping (he's my therapist, not my boyfriend, I know, lol). He finally scheduled me to see my medications doctor again (I've been off my meds since October), and then I start going through the same thing again; I didn't get my reminder call for the appointment, and the first thing that I think is that she cancelled it because she's mad at me. I called the office and asked to confirm the appointment, and the first person I got on the phone took a message and never called me back. I was getting really nervous and I called back fully prepared to bite somebody's head off, but I got my appointment confirmed so I chilled out a little bit. A little bit, I got in some trouble at work because I stayed gone too long on my break, smoking four cigarettes in a row to try and calm down. When I went for my appointment, I had to wait about 15 minutes before the doctor called me back, and I start going through the whole thing again; she's mad at me, she doesn't want to see me anymore, she's punishing me, etc.

Sorry to give the whole play-by-play, but how do you talk yourself down when you know you're just blowing smoke up your own ass?

Post subject: Re: How to not flip out?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:01 pm 

My doc says I'm hypomanic right now, too. I've been doing all this stuff trying to get back on track lately, self-improvement type stuff, and she says that it's just the bipolar, not me. Plus the state medicaid took my antipsychotic off the formulary and I have to switch to something else. WTF!?!?!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:52 pm 
Community Member
Community Member

Ok, so the bipolar is acting up...that's REALLY HARD.

Have you done any CBT or DBT work that might help you stay in control? Would a hosp stay help you until your new meds get adjusted right? working out? Cleaning the house spic and span with a toothbrush?

what other tools and resources do you have?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:03 pm 

Depending on the med, Walmart offers a lot of generics very cheap.

The best piece of advice I have ever gotten when I'm in a state where I'm flipping out is, don't make any major decisions. You know what your responsibilities are on a day to day basis and just do them. That the discomfort that you feel isn't forever and just wait it out.

It sounds like you are uncomfortable right now. Sometimes it's one day at a time others it's one minute at a time. But hey, you're taking actions to get your self feeling better. That's a hard thing to do.

As for the drs and therapist, when I feel similar things I try to breathe through it and realize 9 times out of ten it isn't about me and I'm one of many patients.
I don't know if this helps but you are doing the right things so don't get discouraged.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:17 am 

Those are all good suggestions. I guess I was mostly having a bipolar moment, plus putting myself through some drama with a guy that didn't need to happen. I was Wonder Woman for about three weeks there, but the worst part about being manic is that one day everything shatters, and all of a sudden I'm the saddest little girl in the whole wide world. I just can't seem to get it together, I've been super depressed and moping around the house. I know I've failed at least one of my classes now, I skipped the last couple weeks and didn't turn in a major assignment. I just lay around and cry. I keep wanting to reach out to my ex, I just miss him so much, but I keep stopping myself, because there's no reason to keep stirring that up. My house is so trashed I can't find my phone anyway LOL. I really need to get up and do something, I haven't been to work yet this week. I just feel like I can't be bothered with that stuff.

I did make one super impulsive decision when I was manic. I'm kind of dreading it, but I think it's the right thing to do. In two weeks, I'm going to have a permanent birth control procedure done. I keep having this feeling like as soon as I do it, Prince Charming will ride up on his unicorn and reject me because I can't bear his child. However, I feel like it's the right decision for me...I already have two beautiful kids, and the mental health issues make it a real struggle to interact with them and provide for them the way that I want to.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:17 pm 
Community Member
Community Member

prince charming is the man who accepts you as you are does what's best for you because that's also what fits into his life.

how's that for a new definition????

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:11 pm 

I like that definition :)

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 11:48 am 

Dear AmaNicole,

I can really relate to this sort of thing.
I constantly make up my own story about everything that happens around me. One of the most important "Rules" that I try to repeat to myself, which sometimes works is clean and simple - IT DOESN'T HAVE TO BE ABOUT ME.
My therapist calls this mentalization, I don't know if you've heard about it..

Basically, it's allowing yourself to vent other ALTERNATIVE THOUGHTS but the one you say is "blowing smoke up your ass" :P

An example is this: many times I allow outer factors get to me and affect my entire day. Like when I take a bus somewhere - if my busdriver is rude, doesn't say "hi", doesn't look at me, or just doesn't smile I freak out on the inside. I think: "it's because I'm ugly" or "he doesn't want me to take his bus" or "I did something wrong" or "I am dressed wrong". Basically any negative explanation, and it HAS to be about me.

BUT, what I have learned is the world, simply DOES NOT REVOLVE AROUND ME. Shocking, I know. I discovered a whole new way of thinking, for instance: maybe the busdriver just broke up with his girlfriend, maybe the busdriver is just stressed, maybe he just dropped his son off at kindergarten for the first time, maybe - he's just tired. There are really a million alternative thoughts to the one which comes to me first.

Of course, this doesn't always help the initial FEELING caused by the initial reaction - but it's a good start :)

I hope this makes sense, and that it might help you a little.
Sincerely A

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:00 am 

I'm no doctor BPD can get really hard. But Bi polar I can't imagine how bad that can get. If you went cold turkey and had to stop taking the meds cuz they are not available that is a big deal and it is messes up your system and emotions even worse when you just stop taking your meds. You can go to a therapist all you want to try to cope. But Meds are the first thing you must do! If they worked to your advantage it is EXTREMELY important that you start taking meds again! Make sure you find a good psyciatrist to understand you AND your condition fully! Cuz although many people have the same diagnosis. We are all differant and need ways that help us as a person.