Home  •  FAQ  •   Forums

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:53 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: How do you describe BPD?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:20 am 

I'm just wondering how do you describe BPD to people if you're trying to describe it to them and you don't want to freak them out by emphasising the negative stuff associated with the condition.
I have BPD & I've worked really hard to try and sort myself out (I used to come to this board a few years ago and it really helped) but I struggle with explaining the condition as I don't want to dump a lot of stuff onto people. I'm not saying I go round telling everyone but sometimes there are times I need to have this discussion with certain people.

Post subject: Re: How do you describe BPD?
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:10 pm 

Good question. Damn, now I got something else to think about.

Post subject: Re: How do you describe BPD?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:02 am 
Community Member
Community Member

Very carefully. This is not something people are really going to understand,IMO, very easily. Why do you feel the need to tell them? Do you feel recovered enough to deal with their reactions which may not be entirely positive?

It may be too much for some to absorb. It may even scare some. Ask yourself if it is really necessary to tell anybody. I know for me, telling my parents was a big boo boo; they seemed to think either that I wasn't that disturbed or that it was something I could just get rid of quickly. I received very little support from them. As for others, they knew I had been hospitalized several times, but I don't think it was something they really wanted to know about. For me, having the answer to my own thought processes and behavior was exciting....liberating as well. That was all I needed. The people will notice changes in your thinking and behavior, maybe that's all you need, for now at least.

Dagwood