Home  •  FAQ  •   Forums

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:14 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: "traumatic" relocation, possibly
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:08 pm 
Community Member
Community Member

Guess i'm going to be making a major decision sometime in the next few months; I currently live in a duplex type of condominium. They are actually two houses together with a common wall. It is somewhat expensive for me as I have to pay a monthly maintenance fee that covers my water, trash pickup and lawn maintenance and for the structural components of the condo(walls etc plumbling), and I pay for a yearly homeowners insurance which would pay for the contents of my home as well as kitchen appliances and bathroom fixtures in the event some sort of weather related turmoil befalls us here on the west coast of Florida.

My condo neighborhood is governed by a board of directors, one of whom is a new person with big ideas for landscaping, water wells, etc. In fact when I think of him I want to scream. If he can get enough people to go along with his ideas, I will be having to spend money I really can't afford to spend.

My boy friend has suggested I move in with him and his brother in their recently purchased house. He's brought this up before, but it brought on so much anxiety that the idea was "tabled." My place needs new kitchen applicances and storage. The bathrooms could also stand a renovation. These things will cost a good bit of money. The bottom line is I would save a good bit of money------but it wouldn't be my own home. BF's brother is a great guy, but I hate to intrude into the "man cave." Anyway, guess it's time for me to really consider a major change in my life. This scares the hell out of me.

Thanks for reading....this is the only place for me to unload right now, and I'm a tad upset. Change is difficult for me, but especially now at 63, ha ha.

dagwood

Post subject: Re: "traumatic" relocation, possibly
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:11 pm 
Community Member
Community Member

It seems that the situation that triggered my anxiety was actually the result of incorrect computing......the board member put a few too many 0's in his computation. His error has been discovered and the "traumatic" relocation should NOT be of concern to me at this point.

Thank you much for any who read my original post. I appreciate it.

Dagwood

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:45 pm 
Senior Community Leader
Senior Community Leader

I just got here - in time to see that the situation resolved itself so yay for that!

Do you still want to scream when you think of the board president?

By the way, I loathe & despise any HOA's. I refuse to ever live in another covenant controlled community ever-ever-ever again. Too many small-minded, petty people get onto the board and ruin the entire thing for everyone else in the name of "property values" or whatnot. Blech.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:01 am 
Community Member
Community Member

Ash,

I've calmed down a bit,ha,ha. I'd gotten myself into a real snit. I'd still like to tell him what I think of his ideas. But, I will contain myself.

He doesn't seem to realize that this is a middle-class neighborhood, and most people are retired. There are some people with high incomes, but even they really do not want to spend extra money on unnecessary projects. They'd rather leave their money to their kids. This guy seems to think he is smarter and wiser than all others. He won't listen to people who actually know what they are talking about.

Yep, HOA's leave a lot to be desired. Many people get on the board so they can control things and get what they want as individuals and not necessarily what is good for the Assocation as a whole.

If I could afford to, I would buy a house and do my own yard work. At least I'd have control. It'd be nice to have a yard where I could plant what I want without getting approval and then wondering how the condo yard crew would mutilate it.

thanks again
Dagwood

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:12 am 
Community Member
Community Member

dagwood,

Happy for you that the situation resolved itself :)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:19 am 
Community Member
Community Member

Meremortal,

Thank you. I appreciate your reading my thread and comment very much.

Dagwood

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:41 am 
Community Member
Community Member

No prob, dagwood :)

that's what we're all here for - to help one another recover and work out issues! :)