Home  •  FAQ  •   Forums

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:02 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Treatment availabilty?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:09 am 

What are the rights of patients seeking help for BPD in the UK. I have seen the NICE recommendations and the page on the NHS website stating the treatment that is available, however isn't actually available to me. I have been waiting for treatment from the WLMHT for a considerable time, and have suffered from BPD/mental health issues since early childhood - I am now 39. It seems that my life will be over before I actually get any 'real' help. I am terribly unhappy with the whole lack of support. I am medicated (highly) and I get to see a care cordinator occasionaly yet her whole focus seems to be on areas of my life that SHE feels are important despite my protests. This is NOT treating BPD. I had originally had promises of anger management, DBT, CBT, Group therapy, counselling, support groups. And what i have actually got is a big fat nothing in two years. I don't even see the psychiatrist. I am continuously told i am on the waiting list... its been so long i forget what that waiting list is even for!
I have made several suicide attempts this year alone and was sectioned last year for some time. I'm not sure where to turn or what to do. I just get nowhere. It further enforces my perception that nobody really cares.

Post subject: Re: Treatment availabilty?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:25 am 

I live in the Greater Toronto Area in Ontario, Canada which surrounds all the top facilities in the Country. I took advantage of them all. I had ECT and DBT at the top psychiatric hospital in Canada. I saw the best psychiatrists. I was tried on every medication. Regardless of that, I made three near fatal suicide attempts in three years. One resulting in a three day coma in the ICU and two that nearly killed my liver. The system wasn't working for me. Finally, after my last suicide attempt on Dec. 16th last year, I was put on Seroquel and two weeks later I was stable. It's been three months now and I realize that I still have a lot of work to do. Actually, now the self help work begins which is why I'm here.

I don't know what patient rights are like in the UK but I hear your frustration and you're entitled to it. One of the things that kept me going during my three year depression was that I knew I had resources. Without that, I may have completely lost hope. I wish I could help in this situation. Your suicide attempts are dangerous and may have deadly consequences if you don't receive help. Continue to self advocate for help and continue to post for support and gain tools for coping here at BPDRecovery. Although I don't have the answer you were looking for, I wanted you to know that I read your post and care about your health and wellbeing. You're not alone.

"I'm loved. I can't forget that or take it for granted. I'm going to be here and be taking advantage of every resource that I can find in Brampton. I WILL heal. The pain will subside. I have a future full of possibilities. I just have to fight tooth and nail to make it there."

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:41 am 

I'm glad you are feeling better now,i hope you manage to stay stable for a long time you sound as though you deserve respite.
I was on serequol for some time but it didn't work for me. I have many medications i should take, but they don't help just mask everything and frankly i think by making my problem it doesn't make it go away. They should address rather than give me twenty addictive tablets to take a day :(
I'm going through a break through at the moment,i just hope its not another temporary high again.
Excuse my grammar, I'm using my phone whilst on the bus!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:53 pm 

It's great to hear that you made a breakthrough! You seem like someone who's ready and willing to do the work to recover. Med's aren't always part of the solution and it looks like you're one of the people who is better off without them. That's great! They have nasty side effects so best to do without when you can! I hope it's not a temporary high for you and that it truly is a breakthrough! You deserve good things. Do you mind talking about your breakthrough or is that too personal?

Thanks for the kind words at the beginning of your post. I appreciate it!

"I'm loved. I can't forget that or take it for granted. I'm going to be here and be taking advantage of every resource that I can find in Brampton. I WILL heal. The pain will subside. I have a future full of possibilities. I just have to fight tooth and nail to make it there."