Home  •  FAQ  •   Forums

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:15 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Self-Help for BPD diagnosis
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 1:58 pm 
Senior Community Leader
Senior Community Leader

I ran across this online and thought I'd share. It may seem overly simple or trite advice but I really do believe in what the Mayo Clinic had to say.
Quote:
Borderline personality disorder
Self-care
Date updated: May 19, 2006
Content provided by MayoClinic.com

Living with borderline personality disorder can be difficult. You may fully realize that your behaviors and thoughts are self-destructive or damaging yet feel unable to control them. Treatment can help you learn skills to manage and cope with your condition.

Other things you can do to help manage your condition and feel better about yourself include:

• Sticking to your treatment plan
  • Attending therapy sessions as scheduled
  • Practicing healthy ways to ease painful emotions, rather than inflicting self-injury
  • Not blaming yourself for having the disorder but recognizing your responsibility to get it treated
  • Learning what things may trigger angry outbursts or impulsive behavior
  • Not being embarrassed by having this condition
  • Getting treatment for related problems, such as substance abuse
  • Educating yourself about the disorder so you understand its causes and treatments better
  • Reaching out to others with the disorder to share insights and experiences

Remember, there's no one right path to recovery from BPD. The condition seems to be worse in young adulthood and may gradually get better with age. Many people with the disorder find greater stability in their lives during their 30s and 40s. Their inner misery may lessen and they go on to sustain loving relationships and enjoy meaningful careers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:53 pm 

Great list, Ash. Triteness is just an indication of a well-worn truth: everybody knows it because it IS actually True.

I don't have anything to add to that list, but other things I've done for general self-care that have helped me in recovery are:

Go to bed and wake up at a consistent time every day (and get at least 8 hours of sleep).

Start every day with a positive affirmation ("I'm having a great day!", "Today is my day!" "What a gift today is!"). Doing so even when I don't feel positive and have to "fake it til I make it".

Eat a healthy breakfast each morning and eat nutritiously throughout the day. Cut out harmful substances in excess (alcohol, caffeine, sugar).

Exercise every day.

Take 5-10 minutes each day to organize or straighten up an area of my house.

Do something fun, just for me, every day.

Put real effort and action into meeting my goals in career, health, and relationships - every day.

Smile often, to myself and at others.
These aren't my ideas, btw, they're part of an online self-development program called TOOLS TO LIFE that Smilininside turned me on to. It's a great program.

Yep, I used the term "every day" a lot in my list - and that's because consistent effort is what it takes to change unhealthy behavior and maintain positive behavior. I don't let excuses get in the way of me taking care of myself because I know it's up to me. And I know how good I feel and how much better my life is when I do take care of myself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 9:53 am 

I love both those lists, Ash and Oceanheart! I hope no one minds me adding my own point- the only one I can think of off the top of my head that isn't covered there. ;)

Don't judge your emotions. Figure out what they're telling you and do what you can to resolve that, but try not to say, "I shouldn't feel this way." There is no should or shouldn't and it's okay to feel however you feel.