Home  •  FAQ  •   Forums

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:34 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Gosh, this dream!
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:38 am 

I usually have pretty vivid dreams. Last night I dreamed I lived in an apartment in a not-so-nice neighborhood on the 2nd floor. And when you opened the door to go out, the landed was off by about a foot, so if you stepping directly outside the door you would land on the ground, a story down. You had to maneuvor or sort of hop to the left to be safe. The place was a mess inside. My ex husband was there. I had a young baby sleeping inside. Every room was cluttered and a disaster mess. I knew I had to move because of the unsafe neighborhood and the front door landing.

Also, during that dream I was with my teen daughter and she had some pot and a pipe of some sort. I decided to show her how to smoke it and I smoked some too. I realized it helped me to feel happy and I wanted to smoke enough to be happy, yet not get completely out of control. I remember I asked her if she felt anything and she didn't. I told her that was natural for the first time. There were other people on the street smoking pop also from these pipes.

Any thoughts or interpretations? It left me feeling weird.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:59 pm 
Senior Community Leader
Senior Community Leader

Hmm, I don't have much. Did you eat pizza before you went to bed?!

The unsafe neighborhood and cluttered home might relate in some way to how you might be feeling about stuff in the waking world. Maybe there's some inner desire of yours to clean up, declutter and get to safety for something inside yourself that's still in its infancy to be able to survive, thrive and grow ... ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:56 pm 

Quote:
Did you eat pizza before you went to bed?!

Lol, yes! I actually did and it was delicious.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:49 pm 
Community Member
Community Member

house dreams, the house is us.

i dream frequently about houses, and i have been able to figure them out with the help of my T, when i had her. she was great at dreams. in fact, one house gets rebuilt in my dreams..almost. its never finished and neither am i. quite weird to watch my own progress!

think of it as you, and see what you come up with? i think its pretty clear :) but its not my place , its yours to think on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:57 pm 
Community Member
Community Member

Gosh, I used to have house dreams all the time! I had them for years! Sometimes I would see the houses from the inside, and other times from the outside. I still remember the rooms and the buildings and the streets in all of the dreams. I'm telling you - this goes back at least 25 years or so! Isn't that weird? So Jody, how do houses represent us? Can you explain more?

......I'm gonna look at you till my eyes go blind..... (Bob Dylan)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:00 pm 
Community Member
Community Member

ummmm ....

i can only by using my stuff as a example...do ya want that?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:28 pm 
Community Member
Community Member

Whatever you're willing to share Jody! Talk away........... :biggrin

......I'm gonna look at you till my eyes go blind..... (Bob Dylan)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:53 pm 
Community Member
Community Member

damn, i dont know how to put this in words on here.

ok, we agree a house is us in the dream.

what does it look like? in my case, i have 2 houses. one is half beautiful and new and fancy out and inside. one half is broken, roof falling in, and rotting. not hard to make sense of that, eh? its how i see myself, feel about myself. strangely enough, the house is now only like 1/4 broken down..lol. its weird to see it heal in my dreams.

my other house is my grandmothers but huge, huge. full of things from the past and for some reason unknown to me, jewelry. loose stones and made pieces. shrugs* in my dream, people are always trying to take things from me i know are mine now. furniture, all kinds of things. at times its diff people, usually my dad tho. i even get to where i load things up but more appear and he wont let me take them. i am angry in it.

again, not hard to figure out. some times the dream is a tiny house with few things left it so that shows progress. damn but i fight in those dreams..lol...fight for my own self.

if you want to tell me about your dreams, i can see what we can come up with.

C2L's is so obvious to me, but i would rather she figured it out for herself than me tell her what i see.....

everything about the house is how we see ourselves, i think. a picture if you will, of what we feel inside. or wish for, or try for. i used to dream about my granma and my T suggested i ask her what she was trying to tell me. she went away after that..so maybe it was her just saying hi to me. not sure....

many times dreams show our desires, our wants, our fears or our past we are trying to deal with. diff things represent diff places, times, or feelings. i think as we change and heal, the dreams reflect this and our fears more and more as we face them. sorta the mind sorting and coping...if you will.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:02 pm 
Community Leader
Community Leader

My interpretation:

The house=your soul
The clutter=the condition of your inner self
The baby=your inner child
The bad neighbourhood=your fears about the threats of the world around you
The steps=your connection to the outside world (external to yourself) and to the ground (ie: being 'grounded), and the nature of that journey from one (your inner self) to the other (the world around you)

Meaning of these symbols:

It sounds to me that this dream is about being grounded and self nurturing. Inside yourself (inside your dream home) is quite unordered, which indicates that your psyche is at present unordered/messy. Your soul is your sanctuary and it isn't offering you the protection you need there bc it's all a bit of a mess. Your inner child is in there too. This mess is the condition your inner child must live in, which is chaotic and so will induce some level of neglect for that child's needs.

You're conscious of your inner child's needs to be looked after. This is a good thing. You want to protect her from the bad neighbourhood you live in, yet this neighbourhood isn't literal or real. It's your dream, your subconscious that made it up. This indicates that you feel unsafe in the world around you, like there are many threats to your (and your inner child's) safety.

You need to move around the world and in fact the ground is where you seem to want to go (thus the metaphor of being 'grounded') but to get there you must put yourself at risk of falling and being hurt. The fact that the stairs (your passage to being grounded and connecting to the outside world) don't connect to your home (your inner self) indicates that your inner self is not connected to the world around you or to the ground.

Suggestion: go back inside and find your way to the ground internally. Your passage to the world and the ground is very exposed and vulnerable, not to mention dangerous.

I'm curious about why you had to move. The mess is your mess and you can clean it up. Perhaps your ex-H lingering inside there is contributing to the metaphorical mess you have inside right now. But a messy home is no reason to leave, and also the metaphorical neighbourhood you live in can be changed by you, by developing better self-protection skills. You can't move home bc your home is YOU. You need to do some cleaning up.

The pot and the pipe business:

Well I guess pot does make you feel good; it drowns out the bad feelings (which is usually why chronic smokers smoke so much). The pipe: potentially could be a phallic symbol, perhaps representing the intoxicating nature of men/sex...?? Rough guess there (a bit Freudian). This part of the dream appears to indicate that you are passing on to your daughter ways of deadening her feelings with pot (or some other intoxicating activity) and potentially masculinity (the phallic symbol of the pipe). Perhaps you're also aware that your daughter's ability to deaden her feelings with pot (or the euphoric feeling of being stoned) is not well developed, but if she practises she can develop dysfunctional techniques like you have.

And yet, you still want to stay in control.

General message of your dream: clean up, get grounded, find another passge by turning in, not out, and don't kid yourself into thinking that a bit of euphoric, intoxicating emotion deadening will keep you in control. If you were in control your house wouldn't be such a mess and you wouldn't feel vulnerable to the threats in your neighbourhood.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:03 pm 
Community Leader
Community Leader

p.s. Oh, the fact that you live on the second floor reinforces the theme of not being grounded.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:06 am 

Wow, I agree, you guys are good.

I agree with Sarah's interpretation. It does seem to fit. I remember checking on the baby in the other room and tucking in the covers. She seemed to be doing well in spite of the mess around her, although I don't know for sure that my inner child has all her needs met in real life. Even though this baby looked happy, I knew I was neglecting her because I had to leave her there in bed. I felt like I was abandoning her and she was beautiful. I left her there with my ex, thinking she would be okay, not completely looked after, but ok.

Outside the door is when things got dangerous and I could navagate it, yet it was dangerous as was the world outside.

It is distressing about teaching my daughter poor coping skills. I think I do worry about that, that she will pick up some of my dysfunction as she goes out in the world, yet she is in reality a stronger person in many ways. I worry about the example I have set, yet I have tried to protect her from it.

Very interesting!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:04 am 
Community Member
Community Member

Yes, I find dream interpretation interesting. Sarah's analysis seemed to fit well.

I had one the other night. I haven't had a dream in a LONG time. But I dreamed I was at the airport. And I kept running through the airport trying to catch the right plane, but I kept missing the planes. Was very exasperating.