Home  •  FAQ  •   Forums

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:58 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: anyone on disability for bpd
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:39 pm 

I am curious to know if anyone is on disabilty for this illness. Right now I am pretty "low-fuctioning" and am wondering about any help I could get while I am in early recovery. I cant focus on recovery at this point because of the stressors in my life and being a single parent. I desparately want to get better- but I feel like I need help besides just therapy. I am overwhelmed and going down quickly....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:58 pm 
Community Member
Community Member

Location: Reality ~ It's a great place to visit but I wouldn't want to live there!
I have been on disability for a few years now. My former therapist is the one who suggested I apply but it was not something I was convinced to do until I was in lock-up at the state hospital and they threatened to keep me for "long term therapy" against my will (I was able to get out after a month because I was getting worse instead of better and my former therapist convinced the hospital staff that I would do better without the stress of being locked up). Since I was not working and had medical bills and credit card bills I would not have been able to pay any other way, I went ahead and filled out the paperwork and the hospital submitted it for me (they sort of pressured me to do it so I think they were worried about not getting paid if I hadn't agreed). I had already had a number of hospitalizations going back to when I was 18 so I never had to go for an interview or anything, they used my hospital records to qualify me. I am still offended that I qualified so easily when I have heard that some people don't ever qualify. LOL I am not sure what the criteria is exactly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:10 am 

Thank you for your response.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:18 am 

Hi

I am not sure where you are from, but in Australia we get Disability for it and my partner gets a carer's allowance also at the moment because I am not in any position to be left in the house all day by myself!