Home  •  FAQ  •   Forums

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:57 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Gave into the pressure
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 2:22 am 
Senior Community Leader
Senior Community Leader

As of four days ago, I was enrolled in 12 units for school. This wouldn't be an issue except I also work full time in a very demanding job (on call 24x7) and I am married with a young child. When my job was less demanding, meaning my on call 24x7 meant more like be available but I never got a call, I had no problems juggling everything. In the last couple of months, I've been searching for ways to add another 50 hours to my 60+ hour weeks.

As of tonight, I am only enrolled in 6 units. By Monday evening, I will be enrolled in no units. I decided to put school on hold for a while. I have mixed feelings about this decision.

My job is tremendous. I like my boss, I like the company, and I like what I'm doing (I've been in my line of work for nearly 21 years!). I'm a workaholic so my job allows me to fulfill my addiction and get paid. *grin* The problem is, with work and school, I didn't have enough time for family. My daughter is at an age where she wants to be with me, so I should probably take advantage of that and spend some time with her!

Overall, I know postponing school is the right decision. I have enough gray hairs without having to write reflection papers about women mystics from the early years of Christianity or watch a film based solely on form rather than content. Not to mention, I have enough projects at work without having to write about them for a course. I am really bummed to give up one course I've been dying to take since I started college though. But I'll get over it and one day I will take the class. I'm not quitting school all together. I am just postponing my studies until I can find a better balance. Maybe I'll win the PowerBall or MegaMillion jackpot and then I can quit work and go to school full time.

Okay, enough fantasy, back to reality.

Thanks for listening/reading. Sometimes it just feels good to get things off your chest. As I said, I am a bit sad, but I am sure I'll get through this phase.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 11:53 am 
Community Leader
Community Leader

Its hard to give up something even when we know its the right thing to do. (Having just left my job for the sake of my sanity, I do understand.) I know how much you love your little one, so spending more time with them is not a hardship for you, but it still feels like you gave something up. remember, you don't have to be superwoman, and school will always be there. Any chance of getting more help at work, so it can get back to 60 hours a week instead of 90?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:21 pm 
Senior Community Leader
Senior Community Leader

Nik, there's a reason I've been working toward my bachelor's degree for twenty years. Life comes first sometimes.

You're doing the right thing by Bunny, I promise.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 4:56 pm 
Community Member
Community Member

Location: Reality ~ It's a great place to visit but I wouldn't want to live there!
I gave up my teaching career, something I had worked hard to achieve, in order to have more time with my family and specifically to be home with my youngest daughter while she was an infant. When faced with a choice between family or anything else in life, family (particularly kids) will always come first. You won't regret making your daughter a priority right now. It is too bad you are not able to cut back on your work hours to accomodate your school schedule but as you said the classes will still be there when the time is right so you will have an opportunity to go back and pick up where you left off. It took me 10 years to get my degree, having left school and then returned years later, but I got where I wanted to be and there were some benefits to having waited (such as grant money for non-traditional students). You know this is the right choice and it will work out, even though it is hard giving up something you are invested in doing for yourself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:45 pm 
Senior Community Leader
Senior Community Leader

There's not much I can add that the others haven't already said -- but I also think you're doing the right thing. Time flies by faster than you can ever imagine, and before you know it your daughter will be half grown and more interested in spending time with her friends than you. Blink another few times and she'll be off on her own.

Your job is more than demanding and time-consuming enough. Enjoy what little free time you have with your h and your beautiful little girl. School will always be there when the time is right.