Home  •  FAQ  •   Forums

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:11 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Nik
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:48 am 

Nik wrote:
My question is sincere. I do wonder if people would react the same if it were someone else posting a thread like this one. Would people be able to honor the request and share the negative things or would it be filled with nicities.

Personally, it wouldn't make any difference who it was posting this - If the person making the post has admitted that what they are requesting is a form of self-harm, would you enable them do that? I would hope not.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:53 am 
Senior Community Leader
Senior Community Leader

Forgive my delay in responding to this Amanda. I didn't see it.

I was not asking people to pummel Ash with an ax.

My statement really relates to having the ability to provide constructive feedback to another individual. If someone has indicated they want to hear about themselves as a form of self-harm, we the reader can choose a higher road and provide them with feedback that incorporates areas of improvement.

What if you thought I came across as harsh when posting in the community? If I were to ask the community to provide me with your assessment of my behavior in the community because I wanted to hear the negative shit so it would reinforce that I am a pile of shit, what would you do? Would you hold back and not share with me that you find me harsh? What if what you share with me helps me improve my presence in the community?

I suppose I prefer to give people what they're asking for with a positive twist to it. I don't think that's enabling, but I am open to being wrong.

The feedback doesn't need to be given in public either. Sometimes in delicate situations, private feedback is more effective.