Home  •  FAQ  •   Forums

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:06 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Archetypes
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:16 am 

Has anyone on here done work with Jung's six archetypes of the psyche?

They are:

Archetype
Orphan Task = To survive difficulty Motto = Life is suffering
Wanderer Task = Find yourself Motto = Life is an Adventure
Warrior Task = Prove your worth Motto = Life is a battle
Altruist/Martyr Task = Show generosity Motto = to the greater good
Innocent Task = Achieve happiness Motto = Life is Joy
Magician Task = Transform your life Motto = Creating the world I want

I just took the test from Carol S. Pearson's book "The Hero Within - Six Archetypes We Live By". The book is listed as one of the classic 50 self help books. I recommend it.

I cannot find a link to the test or I'd post it. The test asks questions which one must score themselves on with 0 = Never; 1 = Seldom; 2 = Sometimes; 3 = Frequently; 4 = Always

Here are some of the questions:

"I often feel disappointed or betrayed by other people."

"I frequently give people more that I get back."

"When I am betrayed or unjustly treated, it reminds me to take pains to be fair to others."

"I find out about my own shadow self by what upsets me in others."

"I feel very alone, but it gives me satisfaction to see that I can make it on my own."

"I push hard to prove myself and to succeed."

"If others could just see the light, they could have as wonderful of life as I do."

"When I stay calm and centered, others seem quieted, too."

Apparently, we ALL have to go through ALL of these stages to find "The Hero Within". And we can be in several different archetypes at once. For instance my test results were:

Innocent = 14
Orphan = 9
Wanderer = 13
Warrior = 11
Martyr = 15
Magician = 23

If anyone is interested in taking the test, let me know.

I believe that ones who are terrified of being perceived as a "victim" have some kind of problem with that in their shadow self and have yet to work through the Orphan Archetype. Just my 2 cents worth.

It takes our entire life to work through the Archetypes and everyone goes at their own pace. Yes, some get stuck in the Orphan stage and some get stuck in the Warrior stage. Most women get stuck in the Martyr stage.

Opinions and other perceptions welcome!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:29 pm 

I'm definitely interested in taking the test! I was looking for it online but can't find it just yet. Pretty interesting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:31 pm 
Community Member
Community Member

interesting. i will have to think on this one. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:56 pm 
Community Member
Community Member

I will definitely be buying this book. I have been thinking lately of finding a blueprint showing me the development of a hero.

Thanks for posting the info, GH. From the info given here, I think I'm done with the Orphan (I hope so, lol), and I'm in the Wanderer and looking toward the Warrior stage.

It is difficult to say what is impossible, for the dream of yesterday is the hope of today and the reality of tomorrow. -- Robert H. Goddard

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:04 pm 

For US$15 you can take it here (is that the right test, J?). It may not be the right one, cus this was mentioned in connection with Pearson's book "What Story are you Living?" instead of the "Hero" book.

THere's a free online test for archetypes if you don't want to pay, tho it's not the same thing.

Here's how I came up on the free version:
    Explorer 9
    Jester 9
    Hero 9
    Revolutionary 9
    Creator 9

Magician 7
    Innocent 6
    Caregiver 5
    Sage. 4
    Every person 4
    Lover 2
    Ruler 2

Yeah, that sounds about right I suppose...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:56 pm 

On the little online freebie...

Explorer 5
Jester 5
Every person 4
Creator 4
Caregiver 4
Sage 4
Revolutionary 3
Hero 2
Ruler 2
Innocent 1
Magician 1
Lover 0

Uh oh. hmmm... perhaps it means I ain't buyin' nothin' or maybe I'm mostly over myself. I'd like that take.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:28 am 
Community Member
Community Member

Innocent - 1

Explorer - 3

Sage - 3

Every person - 1

Lover - 0

Jester - 6

Hero - 2

Revolutionary - 3

Magician - 1

Caregiver - 0

Creator - 4

Ruler - 0

It looks like my 4 major ares are Explorer, Sage, Jester and Revolutionary. Interesting.......

......I'm gonna look at you till my eyes go blind..... (Bob Dylan)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:08 am 

OH! Thank you for finding those links!

The test for $15 is definitely a more complicated and is based on the 12 Archetypes. The one I took was in the back of the book based on the 6 Archetypes. I'd post the test but am pretty sure that I'd be breaking some copyright laws and I don't think anyone wants that on here.

I took the test you posted:

5 Innocent.

7 Explorer.

8 Sage.

7 Every person.

7 Lover.

6 Jester.

8 Hero.

8 Revolutionary.

7 Magician

8 Caregiver.

8 Creator.

5 Ruler.

How interesting!

Aqua, I think you'd really like the book as it has some good things to do in the back. I'd say 'exercise' but they don't feel hard to do at all. It is basically a 'road map'.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:48 am 

OK decided to have a go.

9 Creator.

7 Jester.

7 Explorer.

7 Hero.

5 Lover.

5 Every person.

4 Caregiver.

4 Innocent.

4 Sage.

3 Revolutionary.

2 Magician.

2 Ruler.

Tracy formerly known as bogit

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:17 am 

"I often feel disappointed or betrayed by other people." That is an Orphan Statement.

"I frequently give people more that I get back." That is a Martyr Statement.

"When I am betrayed or unjustly treated, it reminds me to take pains to be fair to others." Another Martyr Statement.

"I find out about my own shadow self by what upsets me in others." That is a Magician Statement.

"I feel very alone, but it gives me satisfaction to see that I can make it on my own." That is a Wanderer Statement.

"I push hard to prove myself and to succeed." A Warrior Statement.

"If others could just see the light, they could have as wonderful of life as I do." An Innocent Statement.

"When I stay calm and centered, others seem quieted, too." A Magician Statement.

A couple of the Archetypes that these statements went to surprised me.

A few quotes from the book:

"The Orphan and the Innocent actually are preheroic archetypes. Life inevitably will liberate Innocents from their illusions, but Orphans, more than any other type, need help crossing the threshold and embarking upon their heroic journey. Those who do not linger in this stage are those who have had help all along. People who have not, or who do not recognize or accept help when it is there, tend to get stuck in their helplessness."

"Our pain, our suffering, would be too great were we to do all our growing at once. We give things up little by little. That's the psychological reason for denial - it keeps us from having to confront all our problems at once!"

"Suffering also may be a gift in other ways. Particularly later on in the quest, our problem may not be so much a sense of powerlessness as an inflated sense of power, a belief that we have it all together, that we are better, more competent, more worthy than other people. Suffering is the leveler that reminds us of our common mortality, that none of us is exempt from the difficulties of human life."

(That is from the Orphan Stage.)

From The Wanderer Stage...

"The Orphan wants to be taken care of, and the Martyr will deal with the situation by giving more and more to shore up the king and/or to help make the kingdom work better. But the part of each of us that is a Wanderer sooner or later will experience our "kings" and "queens" - the people we serve or who we thought would save us - as villians and tyrants. Our job, then, is to leave them, actually or simply by distancing enough to claim ourselves. What is critical in either case is to stop postponing our journey for them."

There's more of course. I just find this quite fascinating. I intially bought the book in 1993 and devoured it then. At that time, I was seriously in the Warrior/Martyr Archetypes being a single mom and all busting my butt to make ends meet.

I found the book in our move. It's nice to know that I've changed a bit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:19 am 

"I often feel disappointed or betrayed by other people." That is an Orphan Statement.

"I frequently give people more that I get back." That is a Martyr Statement.

"When I am betrayed or unjustly treated, it reminds me to take pains to be fair to others." Another Martyr Statement.

"I find out about my own shadow self by what upsets me in others." That is a Magician Statement.

"I feel very alone, but it gives me satisfaction to see that I can make it on my own." That is a Wanderer Statement.

"I push hard to prove myself and to succeed." A Warrior Statement.

"If others could just see the light, they could have as wonderful of life as I do." An Innocent Statement.

"When I stay calm and centered, others seem quieted, too." A Magician Statement.

A couple of the Archetypes that these statements went to surprised me.

A few quotes from the book:

"The Orphan and the Innocent actually are preheroic archetypes. Life inevitably will liberate Innocents from their illusions, but Orphans, more than any other type, need help crossing the threshold and embarking upon their heroic journey. Those who do not linger in this stage are those who have had help all along. People who have not, or who do not recognize or accept help when it is there, tend to get stuck in their helplessness."

"Our pain, our suffering, would be too great were we to do all our growing at once. We give things up little by little. That's the psychological reason for denial - it keeps us from having to confront all our problems at once!"

"Suffering also may be a gift in other ways. Particularly later on in the quest, our problem may not be so much a sense of powerlessness as an inflated sense of power, a belief that we have it all together, that we are better, more competent, more worthy than other people. Suffering is the leveler that reminds us of our common mortality, that none of us is exempt from the difficulties of human life."

(That is from the Orphan Stage.)

From The Wanderer Stage...

"The Orphan wants to be taken care of, and the Martyr will deal with the situation by giving more and more to shore up the king and/or to help make the kingdom work better. But the part of each of us that is a Wanderer sooner or later will experience our "kings" and "queens" - the people we serve or who we thought would save us - as villians and tyrants. Our job, then, is to leave them, actually or simply by distancing enough to claim ourselves. What is critical in either case is to stop postponing our journey for them."

There's more of course. I just find this quite fascinating. I intially bought the book in 1993 and devoured it then. At that time, I was seriously in the Warrior/Martyr Archetypes being a single mom and all busting my butt to make ends meet.

I found the book in our move. It's nice to know that I've changed a bit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:37 am 

Can anyone link me the site where they took the little free test?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:16 pm 

Vegangirl, if you click on the blue 'here' in OceanHeart's post, it will take you to the test.

(I've been here a while and I still don't know how OceanHeart does that. Once in a while, I'll figure it out but then forget.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:14 pm 

GH, I used to write html code for websites, so this ain't no thing, all you do is follow these steps:

1) [url=
2) http://www.spiritualityhealth.com/newsh ... _8329.html
3) ]
4) put your words you want as the link here
5) [/url]

(without the spaces, if I had included them, you'd only see this: link to online free test

Or you can highlight one word, for example, TEST and then click on the little button that says URL at the top far right of the "post a reply" screen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:36 pm 

So I took it... wow, it was way shorter than I thought it was going to be! But that's not bad.

1- Innocent
2- Explorer
1- Sage
1- Every Person
7- Lover
5- Jester
6- Hero
5- Magician
4- Caregiver
6- Creativity
3- Ruler

-I think this describes me at this point quite accurately.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:37 pm 

Whoops! I missed

6-Revolutionary

That was one of my highest.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:46 pm 

I like quizzes. Have no idea what any of it means but here's my results:

8 Magician.

7 Every person.

6 Innocent.

6 Explorer.

5 Sage.

5 Caregiver.

5 Hero.

4 Creator.

3 Lover.

3 Jester.

1 Revolutionary.

0 Ruler.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:33 pm 

[quote="IBF"]Uh oh. hmmm... perhaps it means I ain't buyin' nothin' or maybe I'm mostly over myself. I'd like that take.[/url]
Well, umm, hopefully, my rash of 9s in dramatic subtypes just showcases my artistic nature :shysmile

Sorry to steer your subject off track with the freebie quiz, GH. I like the concepts, but don't have the emotional space to go into it right now other than superficially.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:10 am 

OH~ Thanks for showing me that! I am not one that is possesive of a thread I start. I'm big into creative process and that the thread will go where it "needs" to go!

I thought my numbers meant I am easily entertained. A cheap date. :shysmile

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:32 am 

Quote:
"When I am betrayed or unjustly treated, it reminds me to take pains to be fair to others." Another Altruist/Martyr Statement.

Yesterday, while talking with my Sis, she filled in a couple of blanks that I had forgotten and or couldn't remember because of dissociation and maybe even the terror I felt.

This is a memory that she and I both share about my little white kitten from childhood. (We were 3 and 4 or so?)

She filled in that she and I had taken the kitty into the house to play with little Snowball. (That was a cardinal sin, at our house, to take AN ANIMAL into the house.) After stepping in the kitty poop outside, our Dad came into the house in a screaming rage. He saw that we had A CAT in the house, took it from us, got a gun, took our kitty outside and shot it. The other part she filled in was that our Dad made US bury our kitty.

That is typical narcissistic behavior. It was turned back around on my Sis and I that it was all OUR fault because we took the cat inside. (What kind of idiots were we?!? We KNEW cats weren't allowed in the house! It was ALL OUR FAULT that he had to shoot it!)

Today, and without anger anymore, I can see it for what it is.

My Dad now has a kitty that lives with him in his house. He's had this cat for several years. He loves his kitty. He talks to the kitty. (At one point with his Alzheimer's, he put the kitty in a garden shed outside because it pooped outside the litter box a couple of times. I rescued the cat from there, bought a couple extra litter boxes, bags of litter so the kitty could be back in the house. A couple of trips out there ago.)

I would NEVER, yes, NEVER take his kitty that he loves outside and shoot it all the while he's begging me not to.

Because I know how it feels.

I grew up vowing to tell my children everyday that I loved them. Vowing to not ever hit, spank or touch them in anger. Vowing that I would not be a parent like my Dad was to me. The same with my Mom.

My daughter is now 22. Yeah, I made lots of mistakes as I suspect most parents do. But that vicious cycle of abuse stopped with me. I could not do to my child what my Dad and Mom did.

Because I know how it feels.

I also know what it is to feel too much for others and the imbalance of that.

There is a part of my altruistic psyche that I will hold onto. If I see little white and black kittens without food, full of fleas, uncared for across the street from me, I cannot turn a blind eye.

OK, just processing through some stuff...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:10 am 
Community Member
Community Member

GH, I'm sorry you had to endure that situation when you were a child. But it's wonderful that today you recognize it for what it was. And that you can be there for your father in his old age and try to help him. I really admire that!!!! :thumbsup

......I'm gonna look at you till my eyes go blind..... (Bob Dylan)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:33 am 

7 Explorer
7 Lover
6 Hero
5 Every person
5 Revolutionary
5 Creator
4 Jester
4 Magician
4 Caregiver
3 Innocent