Home  •  FAQ  •   Forums

It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:19 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Some other things, of a personal nature
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:51 am 
Senior Community Leader
Senior Community Leader

On a personal level, I think there are some misconceptions and misinterpretations of ... well, me, I guess. I founded this place on The Tools. It's what I know. It's what worked for me. It's what I believe to my very core (even if I may not always work them perfectly 100% of the time.)

This does NOT mean that all other approaches are to be avoided, shunned or disregarded!

Just because I have a hang-up about DBT doesn't mean I don't think it has value! Of course it has value - it's a packaged version of CBT. I'm all about CBT so of course I believe in the value of DBT. I just happen to find all the terms and lingo confusing, like a foreign language. When faced with confusion, I get frustrated. When I get frustrated, I find it best to put some distance there.

I've also never had attachment issues. (I don't know that attachment issues and abandonment issues are the same thing.) I don't understand the emotionality behind the attachment. I find it foreign and something I'm unable to understand or wrap my brain around. Again, this is confusion which leads to frustration which leads to distance. While further away from it, I try to do some observation to see if I can find something to which I can relate. When frustration hits again, the observation phase goes back on hiatus and the distance (with silence) resumes.

So ... now I'm distancing myself from at least two groups: DBT-ers and attachers. Not because I disapprove, because I don't understand, get frustrated and need to step away before I inadvertantly make things worse (as I did previously.)

Susanna wrote:
It's good to know what some of those differences are. Then, I suppose, we can at least look at them and say 'ok, so we come from a different theoretical orientation, but I still really relate to THIS bit of what you're saying'.

That's my 'problem' if you will. I am unable relate to any bits. I've tried, I've been trying, each time I try, I get frustrated.

I can't relate and it seems like a fair portion of folks are upset with me for not being able to relate, for not chatting with them about attachment, talking about problems that they don't want to solve, for engaging in DBT exercises with them, building a section of the website devoted to something I don't understand, devoting time to conversations that will lead to tears & frustration (as they invariably do, on both sides.)

To a larger extent, the folks who are on the S/CL team are there because they've essentially demonstrated a fair degree of stability and comprehension & belief in the Tools offered here. It's little surprise that, to a certain degree, we're on the same page. (We're not the same person, we don't think with a single brain, we don't agree on a good number of things.) But for the most part, we're on the same team.

Let's say that this is Hillary's HQ. We've got our ideals and plans posted up on the walls. Now if you come in and share some basic ideals with us, cool. If you want to chat about Barack's similar plan, okay but don't expect Hillary's folks to get all "rah-rah" about Barack's paperwork. It's different enough that it's not Hillary's but it's similar enough to be housed under the same category of Democrat. (Sorry for non-US folks who may be confused by the US politic references.)

Team Hillary wants you supporting her but she's just as happy if you're still voting Democrat, but do you really think that she's going to vote for Barack?

Does that mean that the Us/Them thing starts with me? Or does that mean, like a magnet, it just is what it is? That one end of the magnet is BPDR and the other end is holistic/DBT/attachment, etc? That it's simply the nature of that particular beast?

Believe me, I'm happy for anyone working toward healthy, happy living. I may not understand your approach but I don't need to, do I? If it works for you, that's fantastic! If you want to talk about it here, okay. Please have reasonable expectations about that, though.

I'm happy you're voting Democrat (recovery) but I don't understand Barack (DBT, holistic, etc.) and as much as I've tried, I don't find myself able to vote that way (have productive conversations on those topics) so I don't go there. Please don't villify me for my inability to comprehend something that seems so blazingly obvious and wonderful to you. I'm not you. I'm me. I don't get it. I don't hate it, I just don't understand it despite years & repeated attempts of trying to comprehend it.

Post subject: ...
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:12 am 
Retired SCL
Retired SCL

Hi Ash:

I don't know if this should go here or not (so it can be deleted, bc it's in another thread also), but is my attempt at 1:30 a.m. ish this morning to comment on what you are saying above:
Quote:
In my experience, BPDR is quite unique and unlike other, more traditonal, mental health support boards, because of its recovery focus and because specific tools are provided which can help lead to healthier, happier living.

In concept and when things go right, Community members, (including, but by no means limited to), the S/CL Team can help fascilitate that movement toward recovery by, with use of the tools, inquire of each other whether there might be a different way to view a given situation, by offering a different perspective, perhaps, or by supporting the recovery- focused work of those participating in the Community at large.

I think things got off track in a few ways, or certainly are felt/perceived by those particularly affected, to have derailed, and I'm optimistic that those types of things are now changing.

It's not for any of us to pass judgment on the pace of another members recovery, and I think that has happened in the not too distant past.

I think it is OK to respectfully suggest to someone that they may be getting mired down in a certain area, and then to further suggest some ways that they may want to try something different - especially in looking at times when someone may be making assumptions or taking something unnecessarily personally, etc..

That's what was explained to me when I had been here for a period of time. That people may get 'called on their stuff' with the idea that with a focus on where there may be some twisties or boundary/lack of separation of stuff, etc., going on, awareness of same can be very helpful as opposed to what one generally receives at a more traditional 'support only' [and one prominent one I used to go to now actually calls it that] board.

That's why most of the S/CL's focus on the primary tools that are available here, i.e. CBT, the Five Steps, Four Agreements, Separation of Stuff and so on. Over time I have seen other concepts from other disciplines becoming of common parlance and ready use by most members such as 'mindfulness' and 'radical acceptance', etc.

People also discuss other disciplines and forms of therapy, which it is now written into the main home page of BPDR are accepted to be discussed here, but the Focus of BPDR (see below the main blurb) is still primarily about the precepts outlined in the 'Tools' section [in the blue section at the top left of this page].

Other boards have as their primary focus' other disciplines such as DBT, etc., because that's what those boards know about and emphasize.

I try to learn concepts of DBT through dbtselfhelp.com, but since I don't have a bpd dx, etc., I was turned down for an online group that was recently offerred, and would obviously not be accepted into a 3D group as as a so-called 'non' (I've inquired). But I can and do pick up some of the concepts by visiting that board and when some of you all discuss certain concepts which you find helpful.

I came here to learn CBT and to work on codependency/boundary issues, bec. I have a bro. with significant bpd traits (not formally dx'd) and my Mom, of course, who committed suicide, plus to deal with my depression (along with meds) as well as with my anxiety/panic disorder(s) for which CBT is the forefront treatment.

Anyway, I think this all came up and came across as it's CBT only here, but that was straightened out I think, and now we've tried to make it a lot more clear that CBT and the other tools here are what is primarily focused on, but NOT that the others are excluded.

I think this sore-spot came up again recently, and that is probably the cause of some of the strife. The good news is that I think we are getting back on track now with that, too, although the hurt feelings, etc. that people experience(d) naturally take whatever time they take to heal and that's OK. That's how we grow; how I do anyway (that is, to the extent I have which occasionally I think goes at a snails pace, especially re: my panic issues ).

What I know is that this place is probably not for everybody, but a good lot of people come here, take a break, and then return for the "recovery-focus" - (Really, almost to a one, that's what people that have gone and come back say).

I myself 'visit' another mental health forum (which is now huge and attempts to cover everything, btw); the one that says in its rules that it is a 'support only' board, and after about an hour I not only realize that there is, imo, even more drama and undercurrents and cliques and all there than here, but that it does not challenge me, nor does it prompt me to challenge myself.

It was good for what it was when I was first dealing with this stuff, (my particular dx's and issues), but this place, even with its occasional upheavals and storms, has been what I've needed as a touchstone and to keep the tools in front of me (and see them applied) on a daily basis, so that, more often than not, (but certainly not always ), they are there and 'come to me' when I need them.

[/quote]
You know, Denim, it's good that you mentioned this, bc this might be one of the tenets of BPDR that might not be written down somewhere, but has always been a part of the belief system of the place as long as I can remember.
Quote:
[Ash wrote {I think in her book even - oops, I'm supposed to know that ]: "'Support' without a recovery focus is merely (??) enabling."

Maybe bc that's not written down, per se, it might come across as a 'hidden rule', when really it's a fundamental precept of the whole place and that's why this Board can seem (and is, in fact) more harsh (not quite the word, but rather, less comfort/consolation/sympathy driven, (as oppossed to empathy and compassion which ARE encouraged), than are traditional mental health support boards.

That does NOT mean we should not all strive to be empathetic and respectful in our interactions with others, and that when that doesn't happen, it's wrong and to be regretted. That's why we have such strong ROE's at BPDR, which are now emphasized even more at the bottom of the home page along with a caution that some folks may find the way that this board is conducted, (even on a really good day I mean ) distressing, again, because of its non-traditional, recovery-focused support forums.

I probably haven't articulated this very well, but it wouldn't be the first time that's happened even since this morning.

Oh wait, it is morning and I'm still up .

Ok, niters for Candle, this time for sure.[/quote]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:26 am 
Community Member
Community Member

Thank you for the clarification Ash! I myself have a hard time wrapping my head around some of the Tools. I know they work when they are used, but I have a hard time with some of them. On the other hand, I understand DBT a bit more and find myself gravitating towards it more. My T works with DBT skills with me.

I for one have never expected you to particularly interact with any of us about DBT. You don't have to. I also know from previous posts that you can't wrap your head around attachment issues. But we all have our own particular sets of issues, and maybe there are things you're working on that some of us can't understand. That's okay. As long as we're respectful of each other, that's what counts. I can see how the Leadership Team would like to see each of us moving towards "health." And that we move towards health in a "healthful" manner. So it shouldn't really matter if I do DBT, CBT or the Tools. What matters is that I'm trying - I'm working on it.

I know I would not like to be chastised if I don't work on The Tools because that's what's used here at BPDR. Suggestions have been made to me in the past from time to time to use them. But I have trouble with them. I have trouble wrapping my head around some of them. But as long as I do SOMETHING, I would assume that's okay. As long as I'm trying to move forward.

We're all here (I assume) to recover. It's good to know there are different ways to achieve that. We can also take a bit from Column A and a bit from Column B. It doesn't have to be an either/or kind of thing. The more tools we have, the better our chances are for recovery.

......I'm gonna look at you till my eyes go blind..... (Bob Dylan)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:36 am 
Community Member
Community Member

(First part to readers in general, thoughts inspired by Ash's post. Second part to Ash in reply to her post.)

This post here from Ash is the first in the whole discussion where I didn't feel lost reading it.

A thought I had reading it was, maybe the problem starts with seeing an "us". And that thought, and thinking about how Ash's individual self focused post here makes sense to me, and the whole "us vs. them" discussion makes me wonder what the heck folks are talking about... what I'm thinking is, why put people in groups at all? And I think I don't tend to. We are all individuals. I don't see anyone treating one group different from another because I don't see people as in groups. I see people treating individuals differently. And that's appropriate.

Is it possible to see each other here simply as individuals, not lumping people into groups?

Ash, I do like what you say here. Each of us, we post on things we relate to. On things we don't relate to, we often don't have much to say. That's normal. Good insight. And also helps me understand the posts/threads that have been leaving me going "huh?". :)

Post subject: ...
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:44 pm 
Retired SCL
Retired SCL

BorderGirl wrote:
Quote:
I know I would not like to be chastised if I don't work on The Tools because that's what's used here at BPDR. Suggestions have been made to me in the past from time to time to use them. But I have trouble with them. I have trouble wrapping my head around some of them. But as long as I do SOMETHING, I would assume that's okay. As long as I'm trying to move forward.

I don't think you should be chastised either BG.

By the same token, members on a primarily CBT driiven forum shouldn't be surprised and, hopefullly, won't feel offended/defensive, etc., if the members (including S/CL's) replying to, say, BG's thread, suggest the use of tools that are what we have to offer here, would you agree?

I can't remember who uses what therapy or doesn't find cbt particularly useful, etc., and, also, people don't really know what new concepts might be useful to them (say a newcomer here or someone who has a psychoanalytic background but has not previously been exposed to the behavior[al] therapies for example, until they are, in fact, exposed to it over time/using spaced repetition, (which is how I myself learn things that I want to 'stick' [as opposed to the 'cramming' method for one use or as applicable to one situation/set of circumstances, only]), would you agree?

The sentence I wrote just now is very unclear. I'm sorry. It's just not coming to me today. :(

Can someone else make sense of what I've tried to say and make it more straightforward and more clear.

Sorry about this, BG. Sometimes when I write, things just come up looking like word-salad. :blush :shysmile

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:26 pm 
Community Member
Community Member

Let's see I think what you are saying Candle, is that, first, we (I'll include myself) can't necessarily always keep straight who's familiar with what kind of therapy or other recovery strategies. And, furthermore, someone might find benefit in something new and unfamiliar. If not immediately, then over time with exposure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:37 pm 
Community Member
Community Member

I think I understand Candle. I will say that when I first came here I didn't know DBT from CBT from the Tools. It was all a jumble to me. As I was becoming involved with BPDR, I was also picking up DBT skills from my T. So that was what was sticking in my head. I understand why the moderators would like people here to use the Tools - after all, they were put here for a reason. I personally find them sometimes difficult to use. But that's besides the point. Everyone comes from a different place and I'm sure there are many types of therapy. As I've written here before, my T does not use one specific type of therapy. But he does incorporate DBT skills into his therapy. I think the best we can do is give what is offered here a try. And not give up.

......I'm gonna look at you till my eyes go blind..... (Bob Dylan)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:45 pm 
Community Member
Community Member

((candle)) it helps to know im not the only one who does word salad some days. hugs.

i STILL dont know the diff in dbt, cbt, PTR or xzy. really dont care, lol. i have enough to learn without putting initials to any of it.

i use the tools on the side...what my T taught me, and go from there.