Home  •  FAQ  •   Forums

It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 8:47 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: ob/gyn issues and psych meds
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:26 am 

I have been looking all over the place for someplace where someone could possible relate. I am still going through issues around getting pregnant. I want to be a mom so bad. But..........I have to be off every medication for my mental health except for buspar. that alone is not enough to keep me level. but I aslo don't want to get pregnant and cause harm to a growing baby just because of my meds. I think I can function without the meds but am not quite sure because i have been on medications for a long time and just added a different anti psychotic. My psychiatrist says he does not want me on these meds. my obgyn said the same thing. and that I will need extra support from my mental health providers and friends etc.

I am just wondering what skills others might have used if they went off medications to get pregnant..........

Roo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:48 am 
Community Member
Community Member

Roo, please be careful. you may do fine, but this is just a caution word.

my daughter took lithium during her first pregnancy. didnt hurt the baby.

but pregnancy for her is a bad look. she just loses it from the hormones. and post partum is worse. both times she has tried suicide. it takes a good 3 yrs for her to over come it.

now she will have no more babies. tubal. good, because we are all exhausted from dealing with her.

just be careful, ok? close monitoring, please. ((Roo))

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:06 pm 
Senior Community Leader
Senior Community Leader

If your psychiatrist doesn't want you on the meds, why has he prescribed them for you?

Or do you mean that he doesn't want you on them while you are pregnant? I'm sorry to be dense.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:50 pm 

My psychiatrist doesn't want me on meds for a pregnancy so I have to stop them about a month or more before I plan to get pregnant. My entire health care and mental health care team are on the same page. It takes a lot of coordination and stuff, but I manage to have everyone get each others notes and stuff.

My Ob/gyn who has known me since I was a teenager, said that possibly the excitement and knowing that I want this very much and am much healthier now compared to before, that I will do fine but I can take buspar they said.

I know that my psychiatrist and T talked and my psychiatrist said that I will need a good plan with my T and maybe be seen by my providers more frequently. I will do what I have to do, but I wanted to read up on this stuff and can't seem to locate exactly what I need. everything is just about a paragraph or so.

I am working on many areas of my health to be healthy enough. I was going to be 'cleared' for trying to get pregnant but I felt that I needed to take it several more months on my meds. I hope that is the most responsible thing we can do! :O)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:11 pm 

I didn't mean to imply that I don't want others' thoughts etc. I realized it might come out that way. ;)

if anyone knows of anything I can read though that might have helped them or others they know, can you let me know?

I really want to be the healthiest I can be mentally. I already have major mood swings and so I heard that hormones can make things worse :cry

I am really working with my T more on developing my skills more and to really use them more often so that I get better at them.

Roo