Home  •  FAQ  •   Forums

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:51 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Narcolepsy and Depression - It Sucks
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:44 pm 
Community Member
Community Member

I saw my T today. He received an e-mail from my Sleep Doctor, who I saw on Tuesday. The Sleep Doctor basically told my T that medication can only go so far in treating the Narcolepsy. It can't "cure" it or make things 100% better.

He told him that I need cognitive therapy to deal with this fact. That I am always going to have to struggle with sleep issues.

So I am faced with either staying awake during the day but not being able to sleep properly at night; or sleeping well at night but also falling alseep during the day.

I am a bit depressed about this. When I first got the diagnosis of Narcolepsy a few years ago, I got depressed about it. Now I feel worse because I realize that there's only so much that can be done about it. I am basically stuck between a rock and a hard place.

My T said I have to use Radical Acceptance to deal with it. I know he's right. I just don't like it. Well, there's a lot of things I don't like, and this is another one of them. What can I do, you know?

Does anyone here have Narcolepsy?

......I'm gonna look at you till my eyes go blind..... (Bob Dylan)

Post subject: Re: Narcolepsy and Depression - It Sucks
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:56 am 
Senior Community Leader
Senior Community Leader

I can't imagine what it's like to have narcolepsy. I can imagine though, that it's rather frustrating. I am sorry that you're dealing with this situation and that it's causing you to feel depressed.

Radical acceptance is difficult since most of the time we are accepting something outside of our control. It isn't until we fully accept we do not have control that we can accept the issue. Radical acceptance, in my opinion, is much easier said than done.

Post subject: Re: Narcolepsy and Depression - It Sucks
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:23 am 
Community Member
Community Member

I'm trying to accept this. What makes it difficult is that every day is different. I never know how I'm going to feel. I don't know if I'll be sleepy or not. So it's hard to plan things. I think I have to try to not overload myself. Sort of pace myself. It seems that lately I do either a whole lot, or don't do anything at all. There doesn't seem to be much balance.

I haven't received the Trazedone in the mail yet. I think it'll take about a week or two to arrive. Things will probably change when I begin taking it. So then I'll have to start all over and see how things go. Ugh!

......I'm gonna look at you till my eyes go blind..... (Bob Dylan)