Home  •  FAQ  •   Forums

It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:50 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Info, por favor: Is this mania?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:29 pm 

I feel like I'm high; but I'm not. I'm deliriously happy for absolutely no reason, and hyper. I feel like I'm about to crawl out of my skin and up a wall screaming in sheer joy. My heart is racing, I can't catch my breath, and I'm shaking. I feel like Superman on speed, complete with jumping buildings in a single bound.

I'm keeping a log of how I feel for when I get the balls to go to another psychiatrist. I'm going to record this, but I just want to know, does this sound like mania? I want to know so that it's a nice neat little package to describe it, rather than Superman on Speed.

Unless you think Superman on Speed would be understood. That would be AWESOME.

Post subject: Re: Info, por favor: Is this mania?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:06 pm 
Senior Community Leader
Senior Community Leader

Could be.
How long has this been going on?
Has anything in particular happened to boost your mood?
How quickly did this hit? Did it build up or was it allatonce?
Does this sort of thing happen often?

Kinda sounds manic, but I'm not about to put any pathology on you.
Just make sure you keep up with the basics - eat, sleep, all that nonsense. Keep tabs to see how long this goes, see if it fluctuates or stays steady. Might not hurt to have some little back-up plan in case you come down hard.

I mostly LIKE my semi-manic episodes. It can be kinda fun to have all that good feeling, all that energy. I just have to watch it because I can get pretty careless when I'm UP. And sooner or later I come Down - usually in proportion to my Up. I don't swing terribly bad and it doesn't happen often, but when it does it feels really good...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:04 pm 

At the time of the original post, I'd been in that state for... I'd say about three hours, I think? I'm not sure. Not long. I crashed HARD not very long after I posted this. Went from sky-high to passively suicidal. It hit hard and fast- probably about fifteen minutes for me to hit the extreme high- and it crashed just as fast.

(I'm not in danger. Of suicide, anyway.)

I read a video game preview for a game I want, the collectible for Gaia Online is awesome, and I'm going to Crue Fest. Those things were nice mood boosts, but I don't think they would have made me THAT happy. This was ridiculous. I wasn't even that happy when my SO proposed to me. It's like, I would expect it to lighten my mood- not make me feel like the most incredible thing had happened to me. Crue Fest isn't even until July and we don't have the tix in hand yet.

This doesn't happen very often. Once every few months, tops. I honestly can't remember the last time I went that high and slammed back down, but I do know that the high and the low are very quick, every time.

And yeah, I was LOVING every second of that high. Got nothing accomplished, but I was flying. But the sheer intensity of the feelings started to scare me, I think. I think that might have contributed to the crash. I think that's something I need to note as well.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:05 am 

Have you recently started any new meds?

Aropax caused me to get drug induced Biploar (Bipolar III.) The mania symptoms I showed were: energy, energy and more energy. My co-workers at the time labelled me "The Speed Queen." I slept barely 2-3 hours in a night and the rest of the time I was busy, busy, busy. My thoughts never stopped racing and I was also highly sexual and would have so much energy I almost killed my husband - LOL. This manic phase would last about 10-12 days, then came the crash - suicidal, physical exhaustion set in & the only way I could get through it was to drop my kids off to a babysitter and take sleeping pills. I'd sleep for 3-4 days during a crash. My GP kept upping the dosage because of the crashes. He never recognised the mania part of it, so I lived like this for 2 years until a close friend reported my suicidal behaviour to the Mental Health Services. See, the highs made me feel happy, and good and gave me the energy to get so much done. I didn't know I was too high and thought this was what "normal" felt like.

Your symptoms definitely sound like mania and it's good that you are making notes of it. I hope you can get into see your PDoc soon.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:30 pm 
Community Member
Community Member

sounds it but a low stage of it. depends on what causes it...meds?

my daughter used to love her manic stuff too until she went to the other end of it, no sleep for days, shaking till she can barely hold a fork. driving dangerously, irritable to the point of unreal, hearing voices, weight loss, etc etc etc.

be careful cause it can go really far, and the crashes are bad, bad. which she does also.....

i would def keep a eye on it. the high can be very dangerous.