Home  •  FAQ  •   Forums

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:15 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Advice
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:59 pm 

I usually don't join message boards because of the fear of being found out and someone trying to ruin my life with it. My Therapist diagnosed me as being Borderline in November 2006. I always thought that nothing was wrong with me that my feelings were just normal. These are the symptoms I was experiencing, efforts to avoid abandonment, unstable and intense interpersonal relationships, by alternating between extremes of idealization and devaluation,markedly and persistently unstable self-image or sense of self, i liked to spend money and drive recklessly, recurrent suicidal behavior, gestures, or threats, or self-mutilating behavior, intense episodic dysphoria, irritability, or anxiety usually lasting a few hours and only rarely more than a few days, chronic feelings of emptiness, frequent displays of temper, I always withdrew from people. I am on medication but some of the symptoms are still present. I used to be a drunk but now I have been sober for a year, and I have not self mutilated in over a year because of my Therapist listening to me. But my Therapist is about at his witts end with me and I am close to quitting. Another client (anon) that goes there had wanted to date me and I kept telling him no. So we chatted on yahoo one night and he sent my Therapist something about me that I had said trying to get me kicked out of Therapy. Of course my Therapist will not tell me that it is because of that all he says is that it is because I had sent him many emails. I seriously want to keep this Therapist but I do not know what to really do. I want to get well so I can live a normal life. Can someone give me some advice please?

Post subject: Re: Advice
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:16 am 
Community Member
Community Member

Hi okwoman! Can you explain a little bit more of what you need advice for? Do you want advice on how to keep your T? If that's what you desire, I would say that the best thing to do is speak openly and honestly with him and tell him exactly how you feel. If he is professional, he will not take into account any gossip another patient tells him about you.

Why is your T at his wit's end with you? Are you playing games with him? Not telling him the truth? Why do you feel you need to quit therapy? It seems something is missing here that you're not telling us. Again, I would suggest being honest with him and tell him exactly how you feel and what's going on. Another patient should not have any impact on the direction of your therapy or your relationship with your therapist.

......I'm gonna look at you till my eyes go blind..... (Bob Dylan)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:34 am 
Senior Community Leader
Senior Community Leader

Hi okwoman -- I just wanted to let you know I moved your topic into a different forum. We try to use Conversation Corner mostly for one-on-one's and for conflict resolution, and On the Border gets a lot more traffic so more people will see your post. Things are a little slow around here at the moment (must be the spring weather -- everybody's outside) but hopefully you'll get some responses.

First off, congratulations on being sober and not SI'ing for such a long time -- that's great! If you can manage that, you can do anything!

I'm not sure what to tell you about your therapist. Are you saying that he is threatening to "fire" you? If that's the case, I think you need to have a very straightforward discussion with him, to figure out exactly what it is that you've done wrong and how you might fix it. If he has a problem with you sending him a lot of e-mails and he doesn't like that, he needs to make that clear to you so you know what to expect. Does he not want *any* contact from you during the week (or however long between your sessions)? Would he accept one or two, just not a bunch every day? (Obviously I don't know how often you e-mail him, or what you're telling/asking him when you do, so I'm just throwing out ideas.)

My T doesn't use e-mail, so that's never been an issue for me. Back when I first started with her, and for the first few years or so, I called her on occasion, but I was always so concerned that she would get mad, and I knew she only had 10-15 minutes between sessions and couldn't deal with a lot of stuff in that short a time, so I really tried not to get too used to doing that. It was hard, though.

If you are e-mailing him to ask him therapy-oriented questions, maybe you can make a list of the problems you're having during the week and then take it with you to your session and show it to him, and then pick whatever issue seems to be the most important and start with that. T's aren't usually going to be able to help us with every single problem that we're having. You have to prioritize. I know that's difficult, especially in the beginning. Other things you might do between sessions is journal about what's going on with you, or hang out here and read about how other people are handling some of the same kinds of things that you're dealing with. Be sure to check out our "Tools" (in the box on the left) -- they've helped so many of us.

As for your fear of being found out, that's probably pretty unlikely to happen. Just don't use any names -- most of us just use initials -- or anything that would identify you. And be sure to log out and clear your history if other people use the computer you use to come here. The only problem we've really ever seen here is the occasional spouse who will show up and create an issue, but that's really rare. Hopefully if you have an SO, he already knows what you're struggling with and would be supportive of your coming here for support.

I hope things look up for you soon!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 4:42 pm 

Thanks for the advice. :) I am completely open with my T as he has helped me a great deal. Thanks to his help I have overcome obstacles that I never thought possible. By staying in and recieving treatment I obtained my G.E.D which I only dreamed about and I am enrolled in college. I had sent him about 11 emails and he said that was too much. I made a mistake and I realize it. He told me that only to send him e-mails about My Therapy or Medications. I understand I shouldn't have sent that many. Anyone would get upset over that many emails hehe. My biggest fear is that he might believe what the other client says about me. You guys are right in my next session I am going to discuss this matter with him and I'm sure he will understand. I am glad that I found this board and that there is people out there that feel the same way I do. I thought I was losing my mind. But I know that I'm not. I am glad that you all understand. Thanks :)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:45 am 

Hi Okwoman. I just saw this post and decided to reply.

I understand about emails. I responded to a different thread you had started about that, but most T's are professional enough to not listen to other client's stuff about other clients. if they say anything, that would be a break of confidentiality.

I had a friend and she was fired from her therapist. well then I was fired from mine and was dumped onto this other therapist. it ended up being that I was dumped onto my friend's former t. at the time, I was having tons of issues with this friend but I felt awkward because this T saw my friend for years. anyway, i guess what I am getting at is that I respected my friend and never used names. even though I knew the T knew who I was talking about, she never disclosed stuff and I tried not to disclose stuff that I knew. and I never went back to my friend with therapy stuff. because we both have eating disorders, we both had the same providers for many things. when I was at my sickest mentally, she was too and it was not good.

i think that if this other client goes and tells your T stuff about you, you need to find a way to set boundaries with the other client as far as what you say and don't say. I know its their session and they can say what they want, but as a respectful person, I would have a really hard time disclosing exact stuff about another client to my T. now when my T did DBT groups that I was in, I would have issues with what a client brought to me, but I never said names. of course my T was smart enough to figure it out but if there is concern, please bring it up. otherwise it is going to interfere with your treatment. been there and done that.

I hope you feel welcome here. I choose to come to the board once in a while now but there are a lot of great people here. as long as you don't use things to identify yourself and use your personal computer or clear the history and don't keep passwords on the computer, you should be safe. also, just don't share with others about this site. my feeling about it for me was that I found this site, not my friends! so I want to keep that for me and not feel like my friends are following me and it creates competition for us. so this is where I keep this board to myself (except for my T who knows).

good luck and I hope you can get a lot of feedback that you are looking for here. Just remember to try to stay in the moment and breathe.

have a great day!

Roo-D-Bear

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 5:30 pm 

Thanks Roo. I feel welcome here. :) I am going to bring it up with my T at my next session about the other client. I feel that my T will only say that its my illness and that I am trying to reel this other client into my life. That is not true at all. All I am interested in is getting well so I can go on and pursue my career. I keep cookies and temp internet files deleted. Thanks for the advice :)

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 11:38 am 

I wonder if to be honest if you are actually imgaining that your t is bout to sack you,
maybe you are just getting attached as we need to do in therapy for it to work and so you are so scared of abandonment that you are fully imaginin its going to happen to you, and about to act out to cause him to get rid of you,so he hasnt a chance to get rid of you
just a thought

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 4:16 pm 

My T has even mentioned sending me to another. Jumper I sure wish it was.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 3:38 pm 
Community Member
Community Member

Did your T ever say specifically WHY he wants to send you to another T? Is it because you e-mail him too much? Or does he not have enough experience with treating people with BPD?

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 1:39 pm 

It was because of the e-mails. But my T said I need not worry about it that he was not going to send me to another. That I can only email him if it is absolutely necessary. It broke my heard but it is part of acceptance.

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 2:28 pm 
Community Member
Community Member

Okwoman, I can't e-mail my T anymore either. It's just the way it is. I have to get used to it. I have no choice, do I? That's when I use Radical Acceptance.