Home  •  FAQ  •   Forums

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:12 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 3 weeks into the new job..............
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 4:01 am 

.............and although I'm pretty confident as far as knowing what my position involves, the main tasks that I must get done each night; I am really struggling with the unpredictability. - Each evening shift that I do changes from night-to-night, week-to-week. I cannot predict when the busy times will be as it changes all the time. I cannot predict who will be under my supervision on any given shift. I'm given rosters a fortnight in advance, but there is no guarantees come my shift that it will be as given. My work hours and shifts are predictable but, it would seem all of the other non-duty manager staff changes constantly - due to illness, shift swapping, etc.

Usually I have 1 adult and 2 students rostered on with me, but 2 nights this week, I had no adult rostered on with me which basically meant I had to work a 7 hour shift without a proper sit-down break. With no adult that can be trusted to be left with my swipe key which is needed to authorise alcohol and ciggy sales, it means I am constantly being called to the checkout, so it's pointless trying to take a break. It makes it hard to go do things that I need to do when I cannot leave the checkout area.

I am finding my anxiety & stress levels are rising a lot (even though I am on the maximum dosage of Buspirone); however, I'm aware that it is the unpredictability that it is causing this. Yep, it's only been 3 weeks and I have no way of knowing if that will ease with time. I'm not really sure at this stage whether my stress surrounding unpredictability and constant change is "my true nature" and will always be like this; or whether I'm still functioning in PTSD - trauma mode. Predictability and routine becomes compulsive when one has PTSD - It's kind of a safety thing wanting things to be routinised.

I have no regrets leaving the old job and taking this new one, but I am concerned that my stress levels will remain elevated. My Dr & I have been working on weaning my meds for quite some time. I'm just about off the nighttime ones and we'd planned to start reducing the Buspirone after that. The way things are at the moment I cannot see me getting off them for quite some time. He even suggested at my last appointment that we do not make any med adjustments for at least 2 months.

I guess I'm wondering if others struggle with constant change and unpredictability in the workplace? And those of you who might have gone through a change like this, did things settle down for you? How do you all manage your stress levels whilst at work? Any suggestions or thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Post subject: Re: 3 weeks into the new job..............
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 10:09 pm 

Yes, almost exactly the same thing that you're describing. It never relented and I ended up quitting the job. This doesn't mean it will be the same for you, but it's how it turned out for me. If the stress becomes too much, just find another job that's more routine.

Many jobs involve doing the same set of things each day, like opening up a store (one with less stress) or beginning your day a receptionist, even working in a school or daycare perhaps where your day is always scheduled and there is no unpredictable "rush" of customers or something.

Write more if it helps you to vent and know that there are others out there who understand how you feel!

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 2:53 am 

Hi Presstoe. Thanks for sharing your experience and thoughts on this. I've just finished another shift and again, I'm all stressed out. We've just switched to winter closing hours which of course, has thrown the whole late evening routine out of sync. Normally in the last hour it's quiet enough to get everything done, so we're out of there within 5 minutes of closing, but because we're shutting an hour earlier, there was mad rush of customers and people casually strolling around with carts 5 minutes before closing. :shock I guess I have to give a few more weeks to see if things settle down.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 11:10 pm 

I just wrote back to let you know that I read your reply. Winter huh!? I think this is the only time I have ever felt happy to be in Chicago- winter just ended and our weather is crazy year round. Winters are the worst - even summer is SCALDING!

Take care- keep warm! ...I'll be keeping cool... :santa