Home  •  FAQ  •   Forums

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:46 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Split from "Sort of a good-bye"
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 3:03 pm 
Community Member
Community Member

Amanda wrote:
I didn't read revenge or anger in your post either, wondering. I guess this kind of relates to jody's communication thread - people read things that aren't there, based upon their own mood at the time.

I didn't read anger or revenge in her post either. I thought it could be possible that is what she could be feeling (because of another post before this one, and then this one), so I asked her if that was so. Did you assume because of the questions I asked that I read anger or revenge in her post?

It is difficult to say what is impossible, for the dream of yesterday is the hope of today and the reality of tomorrow. -- Robert H. Goddard

Post subject: Re: Sort of a good-bye
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 4:49 pm 
Senior Community Leader
Senior Community Leader

Hi Aqua, I read your post as a series of literal questions up until the last two sentences. You said "Isn't that really what you are saying to us?" This might be a geographic difference, but I hear "isn't that really" as meaning you're pretty sure that it's true. It's usually a rhetorical question round here.

Wondering, I didn't want to post in your thread without speaking to you, but I don't really know what to say.

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 5:13 pm 
Community Member
Community Member

StoneGlow wrote:
Hi Aqua, I read your post as a series of literal questions up until the last two sentences. You said "Isn't that really what you are saying to us?" This might be a geographic difference, but I hear "isn't that really" as meaning you're pretty sure that it's true. It's usually a rhetorical question round here.

I am seeing that, but that particular thought is tied to the attention-seeking (and not the rejection or revenge thoughts), which I believe she acknowledged here:

wondering wrote:
I don't want to create drama or beg for attention anymore.

which is what I was suggesting she was possibly doing, and yes, I was kinda sure she was doing it (although I was willing to accept and understand another explanation). That didn't mean I read anger or rejection in her words. All in all, "is that what you are doing?" would've been a better way to ask.

That sounds like more of a technique of persuasion the way I posted it. One word can mean a world of difference in how someone reads.... thanks for pointing that out.

It is difficult to say what is impossible, for the dream of yesterday is the hope of today and the reality of tomorrow. -- Robert H. Goddard

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 5:17 pm 
Community Member
Community Member

* replace the word rejection with anger in the preceding post

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 5:46 pm 
Community Member
Community Member

I also see that I assumed your post was tied to Amanda's, it was not, but that's ok.... just ignore those parts lol.

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 6:06 pm 
Community Member
Community Member

Also, Stoneglow, what I should've asked in the first place: Why did you point that out? What significance does it hold to me?

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 6:22 pm 
Community Member
Community Member

SG, Ahhh, nm, I think it's because you didn't quote my post that I got confused as to what you were identifying yours with.

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 6:49 pm 
Community Member
Community Member

Ok, bf and I had a discussion on rhetorical questions, I didn't know much about it, and I get it now (I realize that the way I described it was not what it appeared to be). Thanks for posting SG. Wondering, sorry I went off on a tangent in your thread... Back on subject.

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 8:21 pm 

AquaLite15 wrote:
Isn't that really what you are saying to us?

I will respond for myself, although Stoneglow hit the nail on the head. This last question sounds like you wanted wondering to agree with the previous stuff you'd written. In order for you to ask this, I assumed you must have believed what you'd written beforehand to be accurate: that she was manipulating, and seeking revenge out of anger. It's just the way I read your statement.

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 8:55 pm 
Community Member
Community Member

If it doesn't bother me, why do we have to analyze Aqua's words? Especially in my thread about saying good-bye. Now that's kind of annoying to me. If it's so important, can you please start a new thread about it? I know Aqua's style by now, and I know she meant well. No one's perfect here. It's fine if Aqua is learning something about communication, but it just adds to my realization that the board is aggravating to me. No need for apologies to me, but please start a new thread. This one was supposed to be mine.

Post subject: Re: Split from "Sort of a good-bye"
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 6:48 am 
Senior Community Leader
Senior Community Leader

I split the thread. Usually with threads that go off-topic it's not possible to separate them cleanly, but this one looked like it would work.

EDIT: OK, there's one post that belongs in both threads:
Wondering wrote:
Aqua: You're not entirely wrong. I like the attention, but not enough to make up a story just to get it. Even though you may have worded it poorly, don't discount the partial truth in your first post to me. It makes sense. If I had gotten a lot of responses to my other posts, maybe I wouldn't have started this thread. But, I believe there is a reason for everything that happens. It's time for me to move in other directions now. Like Ash said. If you are looking for hardware in the candy store, you won't find it. This is not the right store for me now, and that's okay.

Aqua: Yes, I was replying to the post directly above mine; I was referring to your first post in the other thread; and I pointed out what I did because I thought you might be interested in terms of communication style. Thinking about it now I see it would have been clearer if I'd quoted. I'm not sure whether you have any outstanding questions for me, so let me know if you do.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 7:21 am 
Community Member
Community Member

I think I've got it worked out, thanks SG. :)

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 7:34 am 
Community Member
Community Member

Also, I figured out what you just explained, although at the time, it threw me for a loop. I was thinking it was tied to Amanda's post, and then I just got all confused as to what it meant to me at all (considering I didn't know much about rhetorical questions). Then, I just kept posting my findings (as if that was proper in wondering's thread).

I shouldn't post or try to think on Sundays. :)~

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 7:55 am 
Senior Community Leader
Senior Community Leader

OK, I understand now :)