Home  •  FAQ  •   Forums

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:31 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Why is it so hard to get an appt
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 6:28 pm 

I have not seen a T in over two years. I have not seen a p doc or been on meds in three years. I have been doing well but last Friday I had a total meltdown. It has been coming for some time and I realized I needed to take action. The p doc my insurance will cover does not have any available appointments until OCTOBER! Most of the T's I called either were not accepting new patients or don't have any appointments available for a month. My old T is not covered by my new ins and I can't afford to pay out of pocket. I live in a very small town so there is no public or low cost clinics here. What are people like me supposed to do in a crisis? I can't go to the hospital because I have to work. It shouldn't be so hard to get help when you really need it.

Post subject: Re: Why is it so hard to get an appt
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 6:49 pm 
Senior Community Leader
Senior Community Leader

It does take time to get worked into a therapist's schedule when you are a new patient. They need to meet and evaluate you and work with you to determine the frequency you will want/need and then work that into their existing calendar. Anyone who works by appointment will likely have similar issues. (My nail lady no longer accepts new clients and it can be a bear getting an appointment I really want.)

Most general practice physicians can relegate patients to another doctor or a licensed practical nurse or a nurse practitioner or the physician's assistant. When it comes to p-docs and therapists, the continuity of care becomes much more important because of the "soft" stuff that does not get noted in the chart with shorthand. These are emotions being dealt with, not sniffles and coughs and rashes.

Yes, it stinks to have to wait. But it is reality. What can you do while you wait to help yourself / hold on until the openings coincide with your schedule?

Btw, I have been known to get p-meds from a regular General Practitioner / Family Physician. "I was previously on Wellbutrin and I need a new prescription. These are my symptoms, here is my health history." They will usually just make sure there are no contra-indications to the med you are requesting and write the scrip. At least that has been my experience. Worth a shot!

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 7:16 pm 
Community Member
Community Member

that is exactly what i ran into with my daughter. she goes to a pdr 3 hours away now.

how bad a crisis? i would say a ER, but they didnt do shit for us. the mhmr here will now, as i found out the state laws and how they were breaking them.

if you have a bottle showing your scrips, legally, and they helped before, usually a GP or PA in a clinic will write refills. keep asking, keep trying.

appeal to the insurance company.

never get completely out of a system your in. have well visits, if nothing more. it is a disaster how few pdrs there are , even in texas. none near us taking new patients. all the Er will do is a 3 day inpatient stay which is almost useless, but MAY get you a dr.

see if there are 800 crisis lines you can call. we have those in our state.

yep, that is exactly the shit we ran into. mainly, the feeling no one cares. you have to yell loud and long to find someone. i urge you to contact your state congress and complain about this. i have.

best of luck to you. hang in there.

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 7:46 pm 

Thanks for the replies. I had meant to add that I did go see my family doc today and he gave me a prescription for Lexapro but I know that will take awhile to kick in. I am in a situation where if it became known that I was back in the mental health care system it could cause me a great deal of trouble with with STBXH so I have tried to stay under the radar.

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 8:10 pm 
Community Member
Community Member

i really wish you the best...i dont see how anyone who has serious mental issues (like my daughter) can ever stay under the radar. we are trying for her disability, as she doesnt stay stable very long anymore.

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 9:31 pm 
Senior Community Leader
Senior Community Leader

borderlineBPD wrote:
I did go see my family doc today and he gave me a prescription for Lexapro but ... I am in a situation where if it became known that I was back in the mental health care system it could cause me a great deal of trouble with with STBXH so I have tried to stay under the radar.

Then it appears to be almost fortuitous that the pdoc didn't have an immediate opening! If he's looking for mental health stuff, a query on the family doc wouldn't raise any red flags.

Everything happens for a reason.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 8:12 pm 

Everything does not happen for a reason. Somethings happen for a reason and somethings happen for no reason at all.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 8:37 pm 
Community Member
Community Member

It's arguable. My bf lives by that and he's pretty successful at life. I'm not at the point yet where I can have a good understanding of it, to believe it one way or another. His roommate will argue with him as well, that everything doesn't happen for a reason. But he sticks to it and believes it.

It is difficult to say what is impossible, for the dream of yesterday is the hope of today and the reality of tomorrow. -- Robert H. Goddard

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 7:00 am 
Senior Community Leader
Senior Community Leader

I also believe everything happens for a reason. We may not know what the reason is right away, but it eventually falls into place.

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 7:56 am 

Why did my son die? What was the reason for that? Why are innocent people killed in drive by shootings? Why are women beaten and raped and murdered? Why are children molested? Why are babies born and then drowned in toilets? What is the reason?

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 8:18 am 
Community Member
Community Member

I don't believe that everything that happens God or fate or some other benevolent force had a good reason. (Things happen for a reason in the sense that things in the past led to them, but I don't think that's what's meant here.) I do think, though, that bad can be changed to good. "All things word for good" not because it's planned out that way in advance, but because even that bad can somehow be turned to work for good. Doesn't mean that it would be better if the bad didn't happen. But the bad doesn't have to win. That's how I see it.

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 8:20 am 
Community Member
Community Member

typo correction: "All things work for good".

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 10:19 am 
Community Member
Community Member

Have you ever read "Why Bad Things Happen To Good People" by Rabbi Irwin Kushner? It's an excellent book. I gave birth to a stillborn baby 31 years ago. To add insult to injury, they never let me see him or hold him. I asked "Why" all the time. Then I read that book and realized things happen just because they happen. There sometimes is no "answer." Reading that book brought me to a much more peaceful place. I still grieve his death, but I don't ask those questions anymore.

......I'm gonna look at you till my eyes go blind..... (Bob Dylan)