Home  •  FAQ  •   Forums

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:45 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: betty sue re voices
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:36 am 
Community Member
Community Member

hi! didnt want to hijack minx's thread. this hasnt much to do with DID.

i note you said you had been told the opposite. im speaking about my daughter ok? long journey to finally find a pdr in ft worth who is like in the top 5 in texas......and costs it! lol. but who can put a price on saving your kid?

she is 31 and this is the first time the voices have appeared for her. altho her whole life has been spent knowing "something" was up/wrong with her, no one could say what. it isnt a exact science and many illnesses overlap. many symptoms can mean several illnesses, also, apparently.

her dx is bipolar 1 with "tendencies to paranoid schizophrenia". go figure. im not even sure the drs know how to separate things to a exact science to say def this and def not that.

all i know is her descriptions of her voices, she says they are much quieter now. and if she listens for them, they get louder. says its like a crowd talking, but mostly unintelligible. now when she was really bad months ago, they were quite understandable to her and loud in her head. telling her to kill herself, she was a bad person, etc. scary as shit!

does this make sense to you? it doesnt to me, but i thought discussing this might help clarify something or at least share another view of something happening to someone.

is her dx right? who knows>? its all we have right now. i trust her pdr. i have to. even they dont know how the brain works, the personality, or why. or why meds might work and might not.

i wish you the best with yours........jody

Post subject: Re: betty sue re voices
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:42 am 

Hi Jody,

The bf I refer to is an ex and it has been awhile since I brushed up on my DID knowledge... I was just told by a master's level therapist (and I had also read) that voices that are perceived as coming from inside one's head are a symptom of DID. Whereas voices that are perceived as coming from outside oneself are a symptom of psychosis... they indicate a break with reality.

One can hear voices inside one's head and still be in touch with reality. I guess I'm only really saying that hearing voices that come from outside oneself would rule out DID. I do not know if internal voices are symptomatic of problems other than DID... apparently they are.

-B

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:52 am 

What exactly is a pdr? I'm not familiar with that abbreviation.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:45 pm 
Community Member
Community Member

sorry---pdr...psychiatrist. md. as opposed to T...a counselor. or psychologist,,,phd.

yes, voices are symptoms of other types of mental illness...as my daughter isnt DID but about everything else...it seems.

the thing is, one cant really know which she is, or both, or why the voices. she cant take anti psychotics, but since her bipolar has calmed down some they are less and quieter in her head. i didnt know one could get voices from bipolar 1 either, but manic and yes, they can. always learning something it seems...

in texas one must have a masters in order to counsel. or be in training for it and under a supervisors care while working toward it. to counsel privately, in ones own office, one must have a masters.

they may indeed be a symptom of DID, i dont know. i just know they are apparently symptoms of several dxs.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:19 pm 

I learned in Abnormal Psychology that bp 1 patients frequently develop psychosis in their manic phases. They do hear voices, feel threatened and some other things that are more common for schizophrenia. Of course this varies, not 2 patients are the same, but yes, it does happen with BP 1 and we were told that it takes a very experienced dr to correctly diagnose the right disorder.

Birgit, who will go insane shortly as well, but for other reasons.......

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:44 am 

Just a snippet of info, Jody... Your daughter's illness probably has nothing to do with DID, but there are a lot of mental health professionals out there who will not acknowledge that DID even exists. They do not believe it is real and would not consider giving it as a diagnosis.

Anyway, I'm sure that's not her problem... and it is easy enough to rule out, if you thought that it might be.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:26 am 
Community Member
Community Member

i agree, many do not believe DID exists.

many dont think kids can be bipolar either. they just want to medicate the symptoms until the kid is really nuts.

the psych section has a long way to go when it comes to mental illnesses. a LONG way.

dramaqueen, i wish i had known that a year ago. we didnt. but yes, it is manic psychosis and i pray none of yall ever have to be around it or see it, esp in your kids.