Home  •  FAQ  •   Forums

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:54 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Entering a new field.
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:15 am 

As I've mentioned before I'm going to school for addictions counseling. Recently, I've gotten a job in my new field. As a program counselor. The company I work with has work sites for group homes, nursing homes, and rehab. Since this is an entry level position they've provided a lot of training. A lot of which I'll be retaking while I'm in college.
It's just a different feeling being on the other side of the theraputic relationship. I've always been the one to recieve help and not ever really able to give that much of myself to any of my other relationships.
I've been told this change will be good for me. That the sense of resposibility for these people, I can't get myself to call them consumers yet, is just sinking in.
I'm having a problem processing that I may at some point be put in a position where I have to restrain someone. Where I will have someone lash out violently at me. I'm a pacifist so...

I guess this doesn't have much of a point. I'm just trying to accept some change in my life. I'm a little scared even if it's for the better. Even if it mean growth.

Post subject: Re: Entering a new field.
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:21 pm 

I am 2 classes short of getting my certificate in CD counseling and have worked as an intern in a treatment facility that is outpatient only. I have never had a client, who got violent and if someone was really aggressive, the group always took care of it right away. It was another matter with one-on-one appointments especially when dealing with a person who had obiviously a mental health issue. Usually the file tells you a lot of the history and you can take preventive steps, leaving the door open and stuff.
They will also teach you some tools in your classes to deal with this, for example, the position of furiture in your office is very important.
People with addictions are required to be clean and sober while in tx, UAs are given prior to starting and also during the program. Overall I guess that the risk of being attacked is fairly small compared to working with mentally disturbed clients.
Maybe it helped a little?
Birgit

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:17 pm 

It helps. I'm still nervous
It's just like "oh shit I have to actually act like I know what I'm doing"

I'm not worried about getting hurt.

I don't know what I'm worried about I just know that I am.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:50 pm 
Community Member
Community Member

how can you have counseling for addiction in a rest home?

the type where most are elderly and badly handicapped? i can see group homes or rehabs.

dramaqueen, what is CD counseling? chemical dependency?

other queen...lol...i admire your going to a new career which is helping others. great job!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:05 pm 

The company I work for has several sites where some are group homes for developmentally disabled, some are nursing homes for the elderly, some are in patient treatment centers for people with addiction problems, and one apartment complex that is like a halfway house for people just getting out of rehab and transitioning to being on their own. So a pretty good variety.
Since this is an entry level position and I'm new to the field, program counselor translates roughly into "over paid bouncer". That became perfectly clear my first day. The longer I'm there then that will change but for now...