Home  •  FAQ  •   Forums

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:41 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Working with Radical Acceptance
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:56 pm 

I am beginning to realize that so much of where I get stuck is freed up when I practice my understanding of radical acceptance. I have been struggling quite a bit lately... I think though that part of the struggle is being perpetuated by the resistance to accepting where I am in the moment, and passing judgement on it. Somehow I am beginning to see that if I can accept where I am in this moment, at this time, and simply allow it to be, without judgement, it frees me. I tend to hold on A LOT to ' I shouldn't be here... I've been here before.... ' all the tapes that I play in my head which are essentially blocks to the experience of accepting...Radical acceptance is about accepting.... it's about releasing... letting go of the holding on. My whole life has been about holding on.... and recovery for me I am learning is really about letting go.... releasing...again and again and again; living simply in the 'I am' in the 'here and now'. For me, everything is been tied into this bundle of holding & control... radical acceptance is the opposite... living in the here and now with whatever outcome...I learned today that practicing radical acceptance gives me the room to make other choices, for it embodies being able to say "this is where I am in this moment"... therefore in another moment another reality can exist... I can choose to move in another direction. I crossed a line today.... one that I have not crossed in many many years. And rather than allowing myself to spiral downwards... being disappointed in myself...blah blah blah... I was able to use Radical Acceptance to isolate the moment, to isolate the action... and to be able to be consciously aware that it doesn't have to be that way... other moments might be different... I don't need to permanantly cement myself to that experience. Embracing the concept of radical acceptance means that I open myself to embrace all of the experiences, sensations, and feelings that pass through me, knowing that that is what they are doing... passing through and I am simply an observer; needing not to attach myself to any experience, feeling or sensation. I think for me, consciously practicing radical acceptance will be a major key to my recovery.

Post subject: Re: Working with Radical Acceptance
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:33 pm 
Senior Community Leader
Senior Community Leader

It feels pretty exciting when you figure that out, doesn't it? Radical acceptance allows you to release so much negative energy. It's about seeing things as they are, whether you're happy about them or not. I'm glad you find this to be a major key to your recovery. I know it's been in mine. I have to accept my mother will always be... my mother. I can't change her. She is who she is. I can change how I look at and handle our relationship. Without radical acceptance, I don't think I'd be in that place.

Post subject: Re: Working with Radical Acceptance
PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:57 pm 

Amharra wrote:
I think though that part of the struggle is being perpetuated by the resistance to accepting where I am in the moment, and passing judgement on it. Somehow I am beginning to see that if I can accept where I am in this moment, at this time, and simply allow it to be, without judgement, it frees me.

This is great insite. I had not thought about accepting that I might be having a difficult time (being mad at myself) while I was just trying to accept the issue within. Cool!
Thanks