Home  •  FAQ  •   Forums

It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:43 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Acceptance - Homework
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:40 am 
Senior Community Leader
Senior Community Leader

Taken directly from Putting the Pieces Together, here are some of the general BPD-oriented homework exercises listed in Chapter 13. These homework exercises are optional (they are NOT required for your participation or continued membership with the BPDR Forums.) The homework need not be posted in public nor shared in any way. The exercises are simply posted as a way to provide some of the recovery-oriented work that may be of assistance in your journey toward healthy, happy living.

• Pick a person in your life who does something (or many things) that you would like them to change.
    [a] Knowing what you do now about acceptance, determine if that aspect of who they are is something you are willing to accept in your life.
    [b] Work the Five Steps about the issue that concerns you.
  • What expectations have you held in any of the important relationships in your life?
    [a] Were those expectations always met?
    [b] When the expectations were not met, what was the result? How did that impact the relationship?
  • How do you deal with situations when consequences to your actions are imposed?
    [a] Does it feel better, more empowering when the actions are defined and the consequences are made clear prior to the sanctions being imposed? Or does it feel just as bad when “punishment” happens “out of the blue”?
  • Look back in your life and add things to your Learning Library. List out the truisms you already know. Things such as: If I scream in the middle of the office, there will be some sort of consequence. If I hit my wife, I could go to jail. If I shake my baby, he could die.
    [a] Do you think that all consequences need to be clearly stated for all actions up-front?
    [b] How do you reconcile the “assumption” that an action could have a negative consequence with the Four Agreements?