Home  •  FAQ  •   Forums

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:54 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Borderline Personality Disorder - Living in the solution
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:42 pm 

Recovery
Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.
- Thomas Edison

After intense emotional suffering and dozens of doctors and therapists, I was finally—and happily—diagnosed with borderline personality disorder in 2011. It was only then that the goal of recovery had an opportunity to become a reality. I began to understand my behaviors and re-actions towards the world. At that moment, I decided to take action. I acknowledge the problem but I chose to live in the solution. It has not been easy and many times I wanted to give up. But I had a goal. The goal was to feel better and to make the most of the life God gave me. I am also a recovering alcoholic. I had 2 illnesses to tackle.

I wanted to overcome the symptoms of borderline personality disorder (BPD) and develop a more positive outlook on life, starting immediately. I am in therapy 2x a week to learn to manage the symptoms of BPD with coping strategies to get me thru my days. I am learning to manage your moods, develop lasting and meaningful relationships, and create a fulfilling, happier state of mind.

I refuse to let BPD make me a prisoner. It has not been an easy journey and I am still cleaning the damage I created with my family and loved ones. My story is no different then anyone elses. My marriage failed, I have lost custody of my children to my x husband, I lost a great job but most of all I lost me. I can't and won't live like this anymore. I am on the road to recovery with a new found hope. It has not been easy but I just keep putting one foot in front of the other.

There is hope for us and we do not have to live in BPD world that is lonely and cold.

The only advice that I can give to anyone that struggles with BPD like me is to be willing and open-minded. Seek therapy and really work at it. I take the advice my therapist gives me and I apply it to my every day life.

I'm here to bring you all hope. We can fight this debiliating illness one step at a time, one day at time, together.

Post subject: Re: Borderline Personality Disorder - Living in the solution
PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:40 pm 
Senior Community Leader
Senior Community Leader

Beautifully put! And I love your name. Welcome bpdfreedom. We can all bring hope to each other. We're glad you're here.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:04 am 
Community Member
Community Member

bpdfreedom,

Welcome!

Sounds to me as though you are well on the road to recovery, which IMHO, is really an ongoing process. But you now have the knowledge to stay on that road. I know I've had some relapses along the way, BUT, I now have the power within to get up again.

I'm also a recovered alcoholic. Alcoholism, I believe, kept me from recovering from bpd for some time, and it wasn't until I got control of my drinking did I make progress with overcoming bpd.

Anyway, I'm very happy for you. Keep coming here.

dagwood

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:46 am 

I know exactly how you feel. I am 60 and just recently found out I had been suffering from BPD since I was a young teen! It has helped me tremendously to know what was wrong with me. I now have a definite diagnosis with good ways to combat it. This web site has been wonderful for me. I finally get to hear from people who are like me.
Self acceptance is a tough one for me but knowing what I do now, I am on my way to understanding my chaotic life and why I did and didn't do the things I did and didn't do.
Feel good so far this Friday morning.
Have a wonder filled day.
Mike

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:36 am 

Hello,
I have just read the last few messages. They have cheered me, given me a little bit of strength. Thank you.

I am 44 with BPD. I find it hard to keep going but I have kept going nonetheless, even finding periods of real happiness again. This past two weeks I have been struggling a bit but I have come to expect that will also happen. It aint easy!

It does help knowing there are other people fighting the same struggle. Getting diagnosed helped me shed some of the blame i tend to load onto myself in bundles. I have learned to be kinder to myself.

Look after yourselves.